DL Apps + FB
- Yankees Acquire Chris Capuano From Rockies
- Mariners Acquire Kendrys Morales
- Tigers Acquire Joakim Soria
- Yankees Acquire Chase Headley
- Giants Sign Dan Uggla
- Angels Acquire Huston Street
- Astros Fail To Sign Aiken, Nix, Marshall
- Braves Release Dan Uggla
- Sabathia To Undergo Arthroscopic Surgery, Miss Rest Of Seasoni
- Red Sox Release A.J. Pierzynski
- Royals Acquire Jason Frasor
- Yankees Acquire Jeff Francis
- Marlon Byrd Reveals Four-Team No-Trade Clause
- Cardinals Claim George Kottaras
- White Sox Sign Carlos Rodon
- Masahiro Tanaka Has Slightly Torn UCL
- Brandon Phillips Tears Ligament In Thumb
- Yadier Molina Out 8-12 Weeks For Thumb Surgery
- Indians Acquire Chris Dickerson
- Aiken Has Elbow Injury; Astros Seeking Discounted Deal
- Blue Jays Claim Nolan Reimold
- Yankees Designate Alfonso Soriano For Assignment
- Yankees, D'Backs Swap Nuno, McCarthy
- Royals Sign Scott Downs
- Athletics Acquire Jeff Samardzija And Jason Hammel
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Mets Would Pay Some Of Colon’s Salary In Trade
- Amaro: Phillies Have Not Considered Releasing Howard
- Mariners Have Made Offer For Drew Stubbs
- Jimmy Rollins’ Option To Vest Tonight
- NL Notes: Tulowitzki, Murphy, De La Rosa, Burnett, Nationals, Marlins, Dodgers
- AL Notes: Hamels, Peavy, Yanks, Masterson, Tigers, Angels
- Blue Jays Outright Brad Mills To Triple-A
- Yankees Exploring Trades For Ian Kennedy, Jorge De La Rosa
- Twins, Suzuki Far Apart In Extension Talks
- Padres GM Finalists Are Preller, Hazen, Eppler, Ng
- D’backs Shopping Aaron Hill, Barely Listening On Martin Prado
- Cubs Looking To Trade Edwin Jackson
- MLBPA Files Grievance Against Astros Relating To Unsigned Draft Picks
- Astros Unlikely To Deal Chad Qualls
- Yankees Acquire Chris Capuano From Rockies
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Matt Smoral Rumors
In his final installment of his Top 100 Draft Flashback series, Matt Eddy of Baseball America assigned values to each of the top ten picks and gave tiered values to the entire first round. Eddy lumps the together the picks in groups of five and uses WAR to weigh each tier against one another. He also identifies the best players to be plucked out of each group, starting with Alex Rodriguez (1-5), Frank Thomas/Derek Jeter (6-10), and Manny Ramirez (11-15). Here's the latest draft news as we close in on the first pick at 6pm central..
- Keith Law of ESPN.com (via Twitter) hears that the Astros will take Mark Appel No. 1.
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter) isn't sure if the Royals have a deal worked out with Phil Bickford but he's certain that some team does. The right-hander's adviser kept him from talking to club executives this week.
- It was reported earlier today that the Royals have reached a deal to take Bickford with the No. 8 pick, but the club is adamant that they have no such agreement, tweets Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
- There's some buzz around baseball that the Cubs are leaning towards taking Kris Bryant over a pitcher, tweets David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com.
- Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (Twitter link) spoke to one scouting director picking early in first round about how he thinks the top of the draft will play out. His guess is that the Astros will take Jonathan Gray, the Cubs will grab Mark Appel at No. 2, and the Rockies will draft Bryant with the third pick.
- Shi Davidi of Sportsnet broke down the Blue Jays' draft strategy and spoke with Matt Smoral about his draft experience last year. The left-hander, who saw his stock drop thanks to a stress fracture in his right foot, assumed he was UNC-bound as he didn't expect any club to meet his $2MM asking price. “Initially, I went, not into panic, but said, ‘Oh crap, I’m going to college,’” the No. 50 pick in last year's draft said. “[The new rules] definitely changed the game but the way I looked at was, I went in there with a number that me and my family and my agent got together, and I was good with going either way." Toronto found room in the budget for Smoral by essentially punting their picks from rounds 4-10, and Davidi surmises that they'll be open to getting creative this year if another opportunity falls into their lap.
- Marc Carig of Newsday (via Twitter) hears that the Mets will draft the best player available at No. 11, rather than target need.
9:07pm: Baseball America's Jim Callis tweets that Smoral's deal is worth exactly $2MM.
JUNE 18, 8:52pm: Smoral has officially signed with the Blue Jays, according to Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star (on Twitter).
JUNE 13: Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos says that negotiations between the club and Smoral are ongoing, writes John Lott of the National Post.
JUNE 6TH, 5:50pm: Smoral's deal is worth roughly $2MM, according to Keith Law of ESPN.com (via Twitter).
3:41pm: The Blue Jays have agreed to terms with supplementary first round selection Matt Smoral, Peter Gammons of MLB Network reports (on Twitter). Smoral appeared to have confirmed the news on his personal Twitter account.
The Blue Jays selected the high school left-hander with the 50th overall selection on Monday as compensation for losing reliever Frank Francisco to the Mets. The recommended bonus for the 50th overall selection is $1MM, according to Baseball America.