- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Latest On Middle Infield Market
- Latest On Royals’ Pitching Search
- Cubs Moving Closer To Bonifacio Trade
- AL East Notes: Yanks, Danks, O’s, Harvey, Rays
- Visit HoopsRumors.com and ProFootballRumors.com
- Cubs Acquire Felix Doubront
- Dodgers Acquire Darwin Barney
- Red Sox, Orioles Discussing Jon Lester
- Stark’s Latest: Price, Lee, Lackey, O’s, Yanks, Payroll Limits
- Rockies Unlikely To Trade Anderson, De La Rosa
- Jon Lester Rumors: Wednesday
- Nate Jones Undergoes Tommy John Surgery
- Mariners Out On Byrd; Yankees Have Interest
- Astros Looking To Move Chris Carter
- Chances Of Lackey Trade Are “Very Good”
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Matt Wise Rumors
More retirement news. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Matt Wise, who pitched last season for the Mets, has also decided to end his baseball career.
The 33-year-old threw for several clubs this winter, but none offered a contract. He played in the majors for eight seasons and will finish with a 4.23 career ERA.
MONDAY: Tom Haudricourt reports that the Brewers are set to sign Tavarez for bullpen depth.
SUNDAY: The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo writes that Bartolo Colon, a close friend of Julian Tavarez, said Tavarez told him that he would prefer to pitch for the New York Mets. Tavarez was recently DFA’d by the Red Sox and elected free agency rather than accepting an assignment to Triple A Pawtucket.
Tavarez could make sense for the Mets in many roles. Jason Vargas and Matt Wise have been ineffective in limited use, while Mike Pelfrey has been very inconsistent over the first two months of the season. The Mets, however, have yet to indicate whether they have interest in the veteran right-hander. Baseball Prospectus’ John Perrotto has the Orioles and Brewers as the top suitors; I hadn’t heard Baltimore in the mix until now.
Wise, 32, joins his third organization. He’s good for 50-60 innings and decent command, though his groundball rate really dropped off in ’07.
UPDATE, 12-11-07 at 1:56pm: It’s official, Wise has been DFA’d. If the Brewers aren’t able to trade him then he’ll hook on somewhere as a free agent.
FROM 12-10-07 at 10:20pm:
Tom Haudricourt has some quality stuff tonight, aside from the aforementioned return of Salomon.
- 32 year-old reliever Matt Wise is looking like a non-tender candidate for Wednesday. Eric Gagne took his uniform number. Wise hasn’t been too bad while eating up relief innings the past few years. He only made a million bucks in ’07. The Brewers tended to use him in low-leverage situations in 2007.
- Some other non-tender candidates are listed here.
- Haudricourt is "starting to get some vibes" that the Brewers have their eye on Hank Blalock. The 27 year-old third baseman hit .293/.358/.543 in limited duty this year. He’s locked up affordably – $5.95MM in ’08 and a $6.2MM club option for ’09. Would Dave Bush and a decent pitching prospect cut it?
Radio rumors are among the most dubious, because I can’t confirm unless I heard the report myself or a trusted person communicated it to me. So when I heard of a few thirdhand reports of an Adam Dunn to Milwaukee radio rumor, I remained skeptical.
I still haven’t talked to anyone to learn which specific person at SportsRadio 1250 initiated this rumor, but it doesn’t seem completely fabricated given that ESPN picked it up. The scenario:
The Reds would trade Adam Dunn to the Brewers for Tony Gwynn Jr., Matt Wise, and an unknown infield prospect. Wise is solid, and Wayne Krivsky likes relievers. But the bounty still seems too small for the best available slugger. The other red flag is that Wise and Gwynn continued to play in today’s game after the rumor surfaced.
Fortunately, Jerry Crasnick spoke to Doug Melvin and confirmed that there’s nothing to this trade rumor.