Trade Rumors Apps
- Reds To Extend Devin Mesoraco
- Marlins To Sign Ichiro Suzuki
- Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong
- Braves Sign Jonny Gomes
- Astros Sign Colby Rasmus
- Rangers Acquire Yovani Gallardo
- Cubs Acquire Dexter Fowler For Valbuena, Straily
- Nationals Sign Max Scherzer
- Cardinals Sign Lance Lynn To Three-Year Deal
- Astros Acquire Evan Gattis
- Nationals, A's Swap Tyler Clippard, Yunel Escobar
- Royals Extend Ned Yost
- D-Backs Sign Yoan Lopez
- Pirates Sign Jung-ho Kang
- Athletics Acquire Ben Zobrist
- Non-Tender Tracker
- Non-Tender Candidates
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Central Notes: Ramirez, Shields, Reds
- Latest On Yoan Moncada
- Players Avoiding Arbitration: Monday
- Mariners Re-Sign Endy Chavez
- Minor Moves: Franklin Gutierrez
- Blue Jays Announce One-Year Extension Of President/CEO Paul Beeston
- Braves Sign John Buck To Minor League Deal
- Padres Sign Ramiro Pena To Minor League Deal
- Orioles Avoid Arbitration With Bud Norris
- Orioles Sign Chris Parmelee, Dane De La Rosa
- Reds Extend Devin Mesoraco
- East Notes: Hoffman, Upton, Papelbon, De Aza, Yanks
- International Notes: Olivera, Fernandez
- Brewers Talking With Francisco Rodriguez
- AL Notes: Rays, Gutierrez, Mariners, Butler, Royals
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Mike Myers Rumors
Expect another one of these today. There’s lots of little stuff, but not much in the way of substantive rumors.
- The Mariners were one of four teams contacted by Frank Thomas’s agent. The A’s were obviously another. So who were the other two?
- With 24-year-old backstop Robinzon Diaz mashing in AAA, the Jays might look to spin off either Gregg Zaun or Rod Barajas come July.
- 39-year-old southpaw Mike Myers requested and was granted his unconditional release from the Dodgers.
- After DFAing him on Sunday, the Royals have placed Hideo Nomo on release waivers. If unclaimed by noon on Tuesday, he’ll become a free agent.
- Curtis Granderson says his allergies are killing him. I can empathize. Fret not, Curtis. If you’re like me, you’ll be in the clear next week.
Posted by Joe Pawlikowski.
UPDATE: Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald is now reporting that Kenny Williams may have indicated Mike Myers (and Ryan Bukvich) are the two spots in the bullpen he will be addressing in the offseason. The article indicates that the White Sox won’t be as busy this offseason as some may think.
Mark Gonzales reports Mike Myers might indeed have a role in the White Sox bullpen next season, and no, it won’t be sketch comedy or terrorizing Jamie Lee Curtis.
When the Red Sox let Myers walk and I watched the Yankees pick him up as a lefty specialist to negate what had become known as the David Ortiz Factor, as a Sox fan one thought came to mind: "Whoops!" In his first attempt to get Ortiz out, Big Papi promptly took him deep. Ortiz spent 2006-2007 going 5 for 15 with a homer and 6 RBIs against the lefty specialist. The Yankees designated him for assignment in August. Despite a 2.66 ERA, lefties were hitting .301 off him. The White Sox picked him up and things got worse. Myers’ ERA rose from 2.84 to 4.41 in 6 weeks.
Still, they’re expected to pick up the sidearmer’s $1.1MM option for 2008. Pitching coach Don Cooper is confident they have made adjustments to get Myers back on track. Says Cooper, "Every club would like to have three lefties in the bullpen. We have that ability to have three lefties every day, at least two, especially in our division where we have a lot of good-hitting lefties and guys who switch-hit."
The White Sox signed 38 year-old lefty specialist Mike Myers on Sunday. The signing is clearly focused on 2008, as Kenny Williams tacked on a $1.1MM club option for 2008.
Myers contends that he’s been done in by southpaws hitting singles off him. The numbers bear that out, as he’s allowed 24 hits but just one home run in 18 innings against lefties. He whiffed 18 in those 18 innings, so there is hope that the veteran can live on.
The Sox have Mike MacDougal ($1.95MM) and Matt Thornton ($0.875MM) under contract for the bullpen in 2008. And of course Bobby Jenks and all kinds of rookies remain under the team’s control. I actually thought the team’s bullpen would be a strength heading into this season.