For up for auction: two years of Miguel Cabrera. Who's going to place a bid? The latest buzz from Joe Capozzi is that the Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, and White Sox are all after him. A deal could happen at the Winter Meetings from December 3-6. The needs for the Marlins are starting pitching, third base, catcher, and center field. They want three players.
- Dodgers: Capozzi's source says they're "making a big push" for Cabrera, after calling about him last summer. This could even involve a package deal with Dontrelle Willis. The names being thrown around: Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Andy LaRoche, Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw, Scott Elbert, and Jonathan Meloan. I can't see the Dodgers trading Billingsley; he's integral to the 2008 team. Dodgers side note: Bill Shaikin names Kosuke Fukudome as someone the Dodgers are monitoring.
- Angels: Capozzi says Cabrera could be the Angels' alternative if they fail to sign Alex Rodriguez. Bill Shaikin speculates on Brandon Wood, Nick Adenhart, and Mike Napoli/Jeff Mathis/Hank Conger. I'd make that deal. However, Ken Rosenthal says Howie Kendrick would be a requirement.
- Giants: Cabrera could be their new Face of the Franchise, but it's tough to see this happening without Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain.
- Yankees: Joe Girardi managed him with the Marlins and speaks highly of him. The Yanks have already touched base about Cabrera with the Fish. It sounds like the Yankees will trade Melky Cabrera, but are very reluctant to trade Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, or Ian Kennedy. I could see them relenting on Kennedy. Capozzi mentions their second tier of prospects - Alan Horne, Humberto Sanchez, Ross Ohlendorf, and Jose Tabata. Nah.
- Red Sox: Any big name, the Yankees and Red Sox have to at least check in. If the Sox somehow don't retain Mike Lowell, they could move on to Cabrera. The price is said to be Jacoby Ellsbury plus Jon Lester or Clay Buchholz. I don't see the Red Sox doing it.
- White Sox: Ozzie Guillen is friends with Cabrera and sure, the White Sox love him. Any package would have to start with Josh Fields, but I'm still not sure they have the goods even if they add Lance Broadway and Gio Gonzalez to the package.
- Indians: Capozzi doesn't mention them, but Paul Hoynes says they'll inquire. The Tribe has some expendable guys but a deal might have to start with Adam Miller.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Miguel Cabrera Trade Rumors: