The Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo shares some notes on Manny Ramirez and around the league. Let's have a look, bullet-point style:
- He cites an AL Exec who says, "I'll be honest, I never thought Ramirez would walk away from... one year, $25 million. That's better than the $20 million option he had torn up... If he has another great year, he gets another $25 million for one year? Or maybe a team then decides, 'OK, this guy has behaved himself for a while, continues to produce at a high level now, let's commit for another two years to him.' Unless a team like the Yankees comes in at the last minute and gets it done, I just don't see where he's going to make more than $25 million." Cafardo adds that "Brian Cashman insists it won't happen."
- A quote from Rich Hill on his being traded to the Orioles: "[Cubs general manager] Jim Hendry really took care of me. He wanted to create an opportunity for me that he told me probably didn't exist in Chicago, so I'm grateful. I know Baltimore tried to deal for me last year and it didn't work out, but this time they made it work." Hill also adds that he's over his back injury and will rediscover his control.
- Ben Sheets not signing anywhere until June hurts the Brewers two-fold: they may have to foot the bill for the surgery and won't receive a first round draft pick for losing a Type-A free agent. Sheets has a torn flexor tendon, as revealed by an exam with the Texas Rangers. On the other hand, MLBTR has noted that in June, after his surgery, he won't cost a draft pick to sign.
- Andruw Jones on playing in Boston: "It's too cold there. There's too much stuff going on."
- Bobby Abreu may have to settle for a one or two year deal at $3MM. Cafardo lists the Angels, Mets, Braves, Dodgers, and Mariners.
- Expect an incentive-laden deal for one year between Tom Glavine and the Braves. As MLBTR has noted, their latest offer was between $1-2MM with no incentives.
- Mark Mulder could be a useful back end starter and he's almost ready to put himself on display to teams.
- Shea Hillenbrand is 32 and receiving no interest. Cafardo wonders if he's "being punished for past transgressions?"
- Cubs, White Sox, and Dodgers are lined up for Orlando Hudson; however, the transfer of ownership may have temporarily tied the hands of Jim Hendry to do anything until Tom Ricketts takes over.
- The A's are continuously interested in Orlando Cabrera, Adam Dunn, and Abreu.
Full Story | Comments (71) | Categories: Adam Dunn | Andruw Jones | Atlanta Braves | Ben Sheets | Bobby Abreu | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Jim Hendry | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | Manny Ramirez | Mark Mulder | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Orlando Cabrera | Orlando Hudson | Rich Hill | Seattle Mariners | Shea Hillenbrand | Tom Glavine
Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero Prospect Rumor Roundup: Talking Twins Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL West Notes: Angels, Jesus Montero, Cotts Quick Hits: Francona, Indians, Mattingly, Dodgers Cafardo on Tanaka, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Phillies AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury Antonetti on Bourn, Bauer, Pitching Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors