A glance through the MLBTR archives reveals what happened last June. Here are some highlights from a busy month:
- The A's signed 16-year-old prospect Michel Inoa with a $4.25MM bonus. Miguel Angel Sano can't sign this month, but there are parallels between the two teenage Dominicans.
- In one of several nasty twists to the month, pitcher Shawn Chacon shoved Astros GM Ed Wade to the floor. Not surprisingly, the altercation led to the righty's release.
- Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi took a cheap shot at Adam Dunn, not literally, like Chacon, but on the radio. He said the slugger didn't have "passion" for baseball. Passionate or not, Dunn went on to hit 40 homers for the fourth straight season.
- Three managers lost their jobs: Willie Randolph of the Mets, John Gibbons of the Blue Jays and John McLaren of the Mariners.
- Believe it or not, the Stephen Strasburg rumors began a full year ago.
- C.C. Sabathia, Matt Holliday and Brian Fuentes were some of the bigger names involved in trade rumors.
- And of course there was the draft. Tim Beckham went first overall to the Rays, followed by Pedro Alvarez (Pirates) and Eric Hosmer (Royals).