The free agent market features closers such as Mike Gonzalez, Rafael Soriano, Fernando Rodney, Jose Valverde, and Billy Wagner, plus former closers like J.J. Putz and Takashi Saito. How about the trade market?
- Joe Nathan, Twins. Nathan has long been among the game's best closers. He's guaranteed $24.5MM over the next two seasons, and some have wondered if the Twins might trade him as a way to clear payroll.
- Heath Bell, Padres. Even with a small payroll, the Padres don't have to move Bell's salary. He's due a sizeable arbitration raise on this year's $1.255MM salary and is under team control through 2011.
- Francisco Cordero, Reds. Cordero's contract is a burden for the Reds - $25MM over the next two years. With all the closer options named in this post, Walt Jocketty will be hard-pressed to find a taker.
- Bobby Jenks, White Sox. Jenks is due an arbitration raise on this year's $5.6MM salary, and moving him would give the White Sox payroll flexibility. So would non-tendering him, if Kenny Williams comes up empty on the trade front. Matt Thornton would be his replacement.
- Matt Capps, Pirates. Capps is under team control through 2012, and he's due an arbitration raise on this year's $2.3MM salary. It wouldn't be much of a raise, given this year's 5.80 ERA. Like Jenks, we can't rule out a non-tender. The Pirates offered Capps to the Brewers for J.J. Hardy before the Twins trade, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Kerry Wood, Indians. Set to earn $10.5MM in 2010 with a 2011 vesting option, Wood is an unnecessary piece on the now-rebuilding Indians.
- Matt Lindstrom, Marlins. The arbitration-eligible Lindstrom hit the DL with an elbow issue and lost the closing job to Leo Nunez. He seems a good bet to be unloaded this winter.
- No matter how you slice it, there are more than ten available closers this winter via trade and free agency. The Orioles, Rays, Tigers, Angels, Braves, Phillies, and Astros face late-inning uncertainty, and it looks like a buyer's market.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors