It can pay to lose a free agent, if the result is a well-employed draft pick or two. Using players drafted and signed as compensation picks, here's my All-Star team for drafts dating back to 2000.
- Catcher: Kelly Shoppach. Drafted by Red Sox in '01, pick from Phillies for loss of Rheal Cormier. He'll be backed up by Nick Hundley, who was drafted by the Padres in '05 on a pick from the Red Sox for the loss of David Wells. Jeff Mathis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia were also under consideration.
- First Base: Ike Davis. Drafted by Mets in '08, pick from Braves for loss of Tom Glavine. There were surprisingly few choices for my first baseman. Conor Jackson would work, though he's currently being used in left field.
- Second Base: Kelly Johnson. Drafted by Braves in '00 as a supplemental pick for loss of Jose Hernandez to Brewers.
- Shortstop: Tommy Manzella. Drafted by Astros in '05, pick from Mets for loss of Carlos Beltran. Not too many names to choose from here.
- Third Base: David Wright. Drafted by Mets in '01 as a supplemental pick for loss of Mike Hampton to the Rockies. Wright's in the running for the best compensation pick of the decade; he was drafted 38th overall.
- Left Field: Jacoby Ellsbury. Drafted by Red Sox in '05, pick from Angels for loss of Orlando Cabrera. Chris Coghlan and Conor Jackson were also under consideration.
- Center Field: Colby Rasmus. Drafted by Cardinals in '05, pick from Red Sox for loss of Edgar Renteria. Interestingly, Rasmus went five picks after Ellsbury. The Rangers' Julio Borbon is another interesting center field compensation pick.
- Right Field: Nick Swisher. Drafted by Athletics in '02, pick from Red Sox for loss of Johnny Damon. One of two Moneyball draft compensation picks to make the cut.
- Designated Hitter: Adam Lind. Drafted by Blue Jays in '04, pick from Angels for loss of Kelvim Escobar.
- Starting Pitcher: Adam Wainwright. Drafted by Braves in '00, pick from D'Backs for loss of Russ Springer.
- Starting Pitcher: Phil Hughes. Drafted by Yankees in '04, pick from Astros for loss of Andy Pettitte.
- Starting Pitcher: Joe Blanton. Drafted by A's in '02, pick from Yankees for loss of Jason Giambi.
- Starting Pitcher: Clay Buchholz. Drafted by Red Sox in '05 as a supplemental pick for the loss of Pedro Martinez to the Mets.
- Starting Pitcher: Jordan Zimmermann. Drafted by Nationals in '07, pick from Cubs for loss of Alfonso Soriano. If you think Zimmermann should be excluded since he's recovering from Tommy John surgery, consider Jeremy Bonderman, Glen Perkins, Gio Gonzalez, Ian Kennedy, and Tommy Hunter.
- Closer: Huston Street. Drafted by A's in '04 as supplemental pick for the loss of Miguel Tejada to the Orioles.
- Setup Man: J.P. Howell. Drafted by Royals in '04 as supplemental pick for the loss of Raul Ibanez to the Mariners. That was actually Howell's second time as a compensation pick. Three more who belong in our bullpen: David Aardsma, Daniel Bard, and Joba Chamberlain.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors