It can pay to lose a free agent, if the result is a well-employed draft pick or two. Using players drafted and signed as compensation picks, here's my All-Star team for drafts dating back to 2000.
- Catcher: Kelly Shoppach. Drafted by Red Sox in '01, pick from Phillies for loss of Rheal Cormier. He'll be backed up by Nick Hundley, who was drafted by the Padres in '05 on a pick from the Red Sox for the loss of David Wells. Jeff Mathis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia were also under consideration.
- First Base: Ike Davis. Drafted by Mets in '08, pick from Braves for loss of Tom Glavine. There were surprisingly few choices for my first baseman. Conor Jackson would work, though he's currently being used in left field.
- Second Base: Kelly Johnson. Drafted by Braves in '00 as a supplemental pick for loss of Jose Hernandez to Brewers.
- Shortstop: Tommy Manzella. Drafted by Astros in '05, pick from Mets for loss of Carlos Beltran. Not too many names to choose from here.
- Third Base: David Wright. Drafted by Mets in '01 as a supplemental pick for loss of Mike Hampton to the Rockies. Wright's in the running for the best compensation pick of the decade; he was drafted 38th overall.
- Left Field: Jacoby Ellsbury. Drafted by Red Sox in '05, pick from Angels for loss of Orlando Cabrera. Chris Coghlan and Conor Jackson were also under consideration.
- Center Field: Colby Rasmus. Drafted by Cardinals in '05, pick from Red Sox for loss of Edgar Renteria. Interestingly, Rasmus went five picks after Ellsbury. The Rangers' Julio Borbon is another interesting center field compensation pick.
- Right Field: Nick Swisher. Drafted by Athletics in '02, pick from Red Sox for loss of Johnny Damon. One of two Moneyball draft compensation picks to make the cut.
- Designated Hitter: Adam Lind. Drafted by Blue Jays in '04, pick from Angels for loss of Kelvim Escobar.
- Starting Pitcher: Adam Wainwright. Drafted by Braves in '00, pick from D'Backs for loss of Russ Springer.
- Starting Pitcher: Phil Hughes. Drafted by Yankees in '04, pick from Astros for loss of Andy Pettitte.
- Starting Pitcher: Joe Blanton. Drafted by A's in '02, pick from Yankees for loss of Jason Giambi.
- Starting Pitcher: Clay Buchholz. Drafted by Red Sox in '05 as a supplemental pick for the loss of Pedro Martinez to the Mets.
- Starting Pitcher: Jordan Zimmermann. Drafted by Nationals in '07, pick from Cubs for loss of Alfonso Soriano. If you think Zimmermann should be excluded since he's recovering from Tommy John surgery, consider Jeremy Bonderman, Glen Perkins, Gio Gonzalez, Ian Kennedy, and Tommy Hunter.
- Closer: Huston Street. Drafted by A's in '04 as supplemental pick for the loss of Miguel Tejada to the Orioles.
- Setup Man: J.P. Howell. Drafted by Royals in '04 as supplemental pick for the loss of Raul Ibanez to the Mariners. That was actually Howell's second time as a compensation pick. Three more who belong in our bullpen: David Aardsma, Daniel Bard, and Joba Chamberlain.
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Papelbon, Happ, Betancourt Central Notes: Phillips, Axford, Joba, Buck Yankees Notes: Infante, Price, Drew, Choo NL West Notes: Kemp, Veras, Crain, Padres Reaction & Analysis Of Robinson Cano's Contract Red Sox Links: Mujica, Payroll, Drew Notes On Granderson, Beltran, Napoli Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Minor Moves: Thames, Tekotte, McDade Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Indians Notes: Albers, Carson, Antonetti Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Orioles Notes: Free Agents, Johnson, Wolf, Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors