June is around the corner, and trade talks will begin in earnest. Most of the bigger recent June deals occurred toward the end of the month; let's take a look.
- June 3rd, 2009: Pirates traded Nate McLouth to the Braves for Charlie Morton, Gorkys Hernandez, and Jeff Locke. Pirates GM Neal Huntington could not resist the Braves' offer. McLouth has been disappointing for Atlanta, while the players the Pirates acquired still retain promise.
- June 27th, 2009: Indians traded Mark DeRosa to the Cardinals for Chris Perez and Jess Todd. DeRosa injured his wrist days after the trade and didn't produce in St. Louis. The book isn't closed on the Cards' side, as they snagged the #46 pick in this year's draft when DeRosa left as a free agent. Perez has a 3.51 ERA, 9.6 K/9, and 3.9 BB/9 in his Indians career, picking up a few saves along the way. Todd has yet to experience big league success.
- June 29th, 2007: Athletics traded Milton Bradley and cash to the Padres for Andrew Brown. Bradley raked for the '07 Padres, who just missed the playoffs. Bradley's season ended with a torn ACL on a bizarre incident. Given the uncertainty, GM Kevin Towers decided not to offer arbitration. Brown was released by the A's in January of '09.
- June 30th, 2006: Mariners traded Asdrubal Cabrera to the Indians for Eduardo Perez. A month later GM Bill Bavasi would trade Shin-Soo Choo to the Indians along with another player for Ben Broussard and cash. Choo became a star, while Cabrera is Cleveland's starting shortstop (he's currently recovering from a broken forearm). Both first basemen struggled in Seattle, though Broussard stuck around through the following season and was dealt for Tug Hulett. Thinking short-term, Bavasi did a lot of damage in the course of about a month.
- June 24th, 2004: Royals traded Carlos Beltran to the Astros for Octavio Dotel and John Buck; Royals traded Dotel to Athletics for Mark Teahen and Mike Wood. The Astros of course got a ton from Beltran in his brief time with the club. They added Eli Iorg and Tommy Manzella as draft picks for Beltran's departure. Teahen, Buck, and Wood were mostly disappointing for Kansas City. One thread of the Beltran deal is still somewhat alive for them in the form of Chris Getz and Josh Fields.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors