Here's a look back at the trades, DFAs, and draft news from the past week:
- The Braves acquired Derrek Lee for three prospects. His overall line's not great, but he's having a strong second half. Chicago will pay $1.7MM of the remaining $3.4MM owed to Lee.
- The Cardinals acquired Pedro Feliz from Houston for minor league David Carpenter. Surprising to see Feliz go anywhere, as his defense has declined and he's statistically one of the least valuable players in baseball this season. But, his first two games in St. Louis have been good at least! Maybe a change of scenery will help.
- The Indians acquired Zach McAllister from the Yankees to complete the Austin Kearns trade. McAllister has struggled in 2010, but anytime you can flip a minor league signee (Kearns) for someone who was an organization's #5 prospect heading into the season (McAllister), you've done well.
- The deadline to sign draft picks came and went this week, with Bryce Harper signing a five-year major league deal that guarantees him $9.9MM. Here's the scoop on the rest of the first-rounders, as well as some notable non-first rounders.
- One first rounder who didn't sign, Barret Loux, will actually be granted free agency on Sept. 1, the commissioner's office ruled. The D'Backs retracted their offer to the #6 overall pick when he failed his physical, but due to his ineligibility to return to NCAA ball, he was granted free agency in fairness to both sides. Arizona will receive the #7 pick in next year's draft as compensation.
- The Rockies DFA'ed Brad Hawpe this week, and the Phillies may have interest. The Rangers have interest, and the Giants did as well, but that's probably out the window thanks to their claim of Cody Ross today.
- Another NL West left-handed hitter cleared waivers this week, but surprisingly, Adam LaRoche isn't drawing interest. He may not mind though, as he's in preliminary extension talks with the D'Backs.
- Billy Wagner's option vested this week, but he still plans to retire. The Braves' closer isn't worried about surpassing John Franco for fourth on the all-time saves list, and he's also apparently not swayed by a guaranteed $6.5MM. Wish I could make that claim myself.
- In international signings, the Pirates signed Mexican pitching prospect Luis Heredia for $2.6MM -- the largest bonus ever shelled out by the Buccos on an international amateur. The Red Sox signed Cuban catcher Adalberto Ibarra for a reduced bonus of $700K-$800K after he failed his physical.
- The Marlins extended Wes Helms, signing the veteran to a one-year, $1MM deal for 2011. In other extension news, the Reds offered Dusty Baker an extension beyond the 2010 campaign. Baker is in the final year of a three-year pact.
- The Mets plan on exercising their $11MM option on Jose Reyes, and will likely explore a contract extension.
- The Orioles won't trade Luke Scott or Ty Wigginton. In Scott's case, it makes sense, as he's under team control beyond 2010. Wigginton, however, will be a free agent and won't bring back any form of compensation. The O's could surely have gotten some kind of return in a trade.
- Be sure to check out MLBTR's Transactions section in order to see all of the minor-league signings and players DFA'ed or released this past week!
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled Royals Release Brad Penny AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco White Sox Getting Calls On De Aza, Viciedo
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors