As excited as I am to get to use "10/10/10" as a date in the title of this post, I'll contain myself as we take a look back at the past seven days here on MLBTR:
- The market for free agent starting pitcher continues to get weaker. Two weeks ago we learned that the Reds will definitely pick up Bronson Arroyo's 2011 option, and this week another name got crossed off the list as Ted Lilly agreed to a three-year deal to stay with the Dodgers. Guys like Hiroki Kuroda and Carl Pavano must be happy to see some competition leaving the board before it begins.
- One thing they probably don't like to see is that the Royals will add a potential name to the list by making Zack Greinke available via trade. The 2009 Cy Young winner instantly becomes one of the top two options on the market, alongside 2008 Cy Young winner Cliff Lee.
- We hear the Yankees and Rangers mentioned a lot in connection to Lee, but there will be other teams who want to get their hands on the ace lefty, including the Nationals. Washington has said they'll go as high as five years and $125MM for a legit ace. They've also got a decision to make on Chien-Ming Wang this offseason, who's throwing in the instructional league.
- Like Lilly, Heath Bell would like to remain in the NL West for three years. He voiced his desire for an extension with the Padres this week, and said he doesn't expect more than three years because of his age. The cost-conscious Padres may be better off dealing Bell, however.
- Lots of managerial news this week, so here we go: the Braves named Fredi Gonzalez as Bobby Cox's heir, and the Mariners hired Eric Wedge for three years. We heard Bobby Valentine may have been the frontrunner in Miami, but withdrew from the Marlins' search just days later. In case the Twins' decade of postseason struggles had you curious, Ron Gardenhire isn't going anywhere for a long time.
- On the GM side of things, we heard from Jeff Wilpon that the Mets' search for Omar Minaya's replacement may take weeks, though Sandy Alderson seems to be the current frontrunner.
- In other Mets news, the team is working toward a settlement with troubled closer Francisco Rodriguez.
- The Royals acquired former standout Kevin Pucetas from the Giants this week to complete the Jose Guillen trade. Pucetas, 25, has three minor league All Star selections, an ERA title, and a Futures Game appearance under his belt, but has fallen on hard times at the upper levels. Nice upside considering all they had to give up was Guillen, though.
- Several free agents talked about their preferred destinations this week, as Arthur Rhodes and Jonny Gomes said they'd like to remain in Cincinnati, while Magglio Ordonez is optimistic about working out a deal with Detroit, and Johnny Damon would love to return to the Bronx Bombers. Jeff Francis would like to stay put in Colorado as well.
- Jim Thome was a bit more vague, but said he's leaning toward playing in 2011 and loved his time in Minnesota. We heard later in the week that his teammates Orlando Hudson and Nick Punto are unlikely to return.
- Hiroyuki Nakajima, a 28-year-old Japanese shortstop who could be posted, is drawing a lot of Major League interest already. Probably has something to do with the .314/.385/.511 slash line and 20 homers he produced this year, though that power might not carry over to the Majors.
- Some minor transactions from around the league: the Red Sox re-signed Jarrod Saltalamacchia to a split contract that could earn him up to $750K, Jeremy Hermida and Ross Wolf elected free agency after being outrighted to Triple-A, and the Cardinals claimed Bryan Augenstein off waivers from the Diamondbacks.
Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Brewers Sign Devin Williams Dodgers Claim John Baker Astros To Sign Mark Appel Marlins Place Miguel Olivo On Restricted List Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment Padres Designate James Darnell For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Signings: Adrian De Horta Red Sox Finalizing Deal With Trey Ball Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Mike Zagurski Clears Waivers, Outrighted To Triple-A Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck For Assignment Padres Sign Ben Francisco Astros, Boras Meet To Discuss Appel Deal City Of San Jose Files Lawsuit Against MLB Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro For Assignment Youkilis Out 10-12 Weeks Due To Back Surgery
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors