Time to review the week that was, with the Winter Meetings just less than eight days away...
- The first big name free agent changed teams this week, with the Tigers signing Victor Martinez to a four-year contract worth $50MM. Fellow Venezuelan Miguel Cabrera helped lure him to Motown, and the Red Sox received two draft picks (including the 19th overall selection) as compensation.
- Aubrey Huff re-signed with the Giants for two-years and $22MM guaranteed, plus an option for a third year. GM Brian Sabean was given the okay to match any offer Huff received, and he's now focused on finding a shortstop.
- The Dodgers signed Jon Garland for one year and $5MM, plus an $8MM option for 2012 that will vest with 190 innings. GM Ned Colletti now turns his attention to a bat, a reliever, and his catching situation. The Marlins, meanwhile, landed Javier Vazquez for one year and $7MM, pending physical.
- The Twins won the rights to negotiate with Japanese infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka, and his NPB team announced that they've accepted the bid. The agent for right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma explained his side of the story after the A's broke off contract talks last weekend.
- Arizona acquired Zach Duke from the Pirates for a player to be named later, and will attempt to sign him for 2011 at a lower rate than his 2010 salary of $4.3MM. If they can't, they'll non-tender him. Pittsburgh has interest in Scott Olsen, who could fill Duke's vacated rotation spot.
- A total of 35 free agents (14 Type A, 21 Type B) were offered arbitration before the Tuesday night deadline. Pedro Feliciano is "seriously considering" accepting the offer, ditto Frank Francisco.
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman encouraged Derek Jeter to test the open market after making several contract offers. The two sides remain far apart. The Yanks prefer to limit Mariano Rivera's contract to one year, and they have yet to make an offer to Cliff Lee.
- The Reds are going to talk to NL MVP Joey Votto about a long-term contract and the Rangers are going to do the same with AL MVP Josh Hamilton.
- Both the Cardinals and Padres are interested in trading for Jason Bartlett as well as Miguel Tejada (add the Giants), while the Brewers and Braves are making a push for Eric Hinske. Jose Reyes is available, but the Mets want three or four young players for their shortstop.
- Nine teams have interest in Jesse Crain, eight have interest in Lance Berkman, seven have interest in Brandon McCarthy, a half-dozen have interest in Cliff Lee, and several have interest in Jarrod Washburn. The Royals are interested in Kevin Millwood, the Red Sox Rod Barajas and Matt Guerrier, the Cubs Carlos Pena, the Rockies and Nationals Brandon Webb, the Dodgers Juan Uribe, and the Phillies Dennys Reyes. Both the Cubs and Rockies have interest in several free agent pitchers.
- Lots of players signed minor league contracts this week, including Dontrelle Willis (Reds), Dana Eveland (Dodgers), Raul Valdes (Cardinals), and Charlie Haeger (Mariners). Former first overall pick Bryan Bullington landed with the Hiroshima Carp while Kaz Matsui joined the Rakuten Golden Eagles.
- Kevin Towers is growing more pessimistic about trading Justin Upton.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors