On this date in 1972, Roberto Clemente was killed when a plane carrying him and relief aid for people affected by a earthquake in Nicaragua crashed into the ocean off the coast of Puerto Rico immediately after takeoff. Clemente, 38 at the time of his death, was a .317/.359/.475 career hitter in 18 seasons with the Bucs, picking up 3,000 career hits on the nose. He was posthumously elected to the Hall of Fame in 1973 after voters elected to waive the traditional five-year waiting period. MLB honors Clemente's charity work each year by presenting the Robert Clemente Award to the player "who combines a dedication to giving back to the community with outstanding skills on the baseball field."
Here's the final batch of links for 2010…
- Amazin' Avenue re-lives Benny Agbayani's baseball life.
- Pirates Prospects tells us what we should expect from each of the five rotation spots.
- Camden Crazies says Adrian Beltre would be a fine addition to the Orioles.
- Baseball Time In Arlington makes a case for the Rangers to sign Jim Thome.
- Capitol Avenue Club takes an early look at the Braves' depth chart.
- The Nats Blog breaks down Baseball America's projected 2014 Nationals lineup.
- River Ave. Blues looks back at the Yankees' recent history of January and February moves.
- We Should Be GMs projects the Phillies' 25-man roster.
- Beyond The Box Score looks at multiyear deals given to free agent starters during the 2009-2010 offseason.
- SPANdemonium examines Brian McCann, one the game's more underrated players.
- Splice Today jumps in and names three other underrated players.
- Dodger Dugout suggests Jermaine Dye for the Dodgers' left field vacancy.
- Yankeeist calls Brad Penny the best of the scrap heap starters on the free agent market.
- The Sports Banter offers up a unique first base solution for the Padres.
- The Friarhood evaluated San Diego's projected offense.
- Phoul Ballz writes about how minor leaguers spend their offseasons.
- The Baseball Opinion speculates about the Angels acquiring Vernon Wells.
- Splashing Pumpkins has some thoughts about the Hall of Fame.
- THT Fantasy breaks down Zack Greinke's fantasy impact with his new team and league.
- M.C. Antil, meanwhile, offers up some random thoughts on the Greinke deal.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here.