If January is a time for bargains, we should have plenty of examples from 2010. The best Major League signings from that month:
- Adrian Beltre to Red Sox for one year, $10MM.
- Vladimir Guerrero to Rangers for one year, $6.5MM.
- Jon Garland to Padres for one year, $5.3MM.
- Brett Myers to Astros for one year, $5.1MM.
- Colby Lewis to Rangers for two years, $5MM.
- Matt Capps to Nationals for one year, $3.5MM.
- Octavio Dotel to Pirates for one year, $3.25MM.
- Aubrey Huff to Giants for one year, $3MM.
- Jack Cust to Athletics for one year, $2.65MM.
- Miguel Olivo to Rockies for one year, $2.5MM.
- Jim Thome to Twins for one year, $1.5MM. This deal was agreed to in January but made official in February.
- Jose Contreras to Phillies for one year, $1.5MM.
For the most part, the key was to sign someone coming off a disappointing season to a one-year contract. Candidates for 2011: Nick Johnson, Derrek Lee, Johnny Damon, Scott Hairston, Manny Ramirez, Jeremy Bonderman, Justin Duchscherer, Jeff Francis, Kevin Millwood, Brad Penny, Chris Young, Chad Qualls, Alfredo Aceves, Manny Delcarmen, and Mark Hendrickson.