While New Year's Day historically hasn't featured many transactions, things generally start picking up again by the second day of the year. Here's a look at some of the more notable moves to occur on January 2nd over the years....
- Two interesting signings occurred just one year ago, when the Cubs inked Marlon Byrd to a three-year, $15MM contract and the Giants signed Santiago Casilla to a minor league deal. While Byrd had a successful season for the Cubs and earned his first All-Star berth, Casilla had the more significant impact on the 2010 pennant race. After being called up in May, the right-hander set career bests with a 1.95 ERA over 55 1/3 innings for the World Champions.
- On this day in 2003, the Cubs signed Rod Beck, who was coming off Tommy John surgery at the time. It was an eventful year for Beck; he made national headlines by welcoming fans to drop by his mobile home in Iowa for autographs and free beer. He was eventually traded to San Diego, where he replaced an injured Trevor Hoffman by recording a 1.78 ERA and 20 saves, earning the NL's Comeback Player of the Year award.
- In a pre-Moneyball world, Oakland's signing of Scott Hatteberg on this day in 2002 probably didn't raise many eyebrows. However, Hatteberg enjoyed the best year of his career to date, posting a .374 OBP and 15 homers for the Athletics, and was later immortalized as "Pickin' Machine" in Michael Lewis' book.
- Jamie Moyer was already a well-traveled veteran when the Red Sox signed him on January 2nd, 1996. Boston was Moyer's fifth team, but it was number six that stuck - prior to the trade deadline, the Red Sox sent the left-hander to Seattle, where Moyer spent the next ten years.
- On the same day Moyer signed with Boston, the Reds brought back a key player from their 1990 World Champion squad: Eric Davis. Plagued by injuries, Davis had hit just .227/.317/.368 in 957 plate appearances since leaving Cincinnati. He bounced back nicely in '96 for the Reds though, with 26 home runs and a .917 OPS.
- After earning an All-Star berth for his first half, Frank Viola had a disastrous second half for the Mets in 1991, losing ten games and pitching to a 5.53 ERA following the All-Star break. That ended his stint in New York, resulting in Boston signing him on this day in 1992. Viola's time in Boston was cut short by Tommy John surgery in 1994, but the former Cy Young winner pitched well to that point, with a 3.40 ERA in 70 starts for the Red Sox.
Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Orioles Acquire Josh Horton From A's NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams Poll: The Next 2012 First-Rounder To Be Called Up Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets Commenting Policy AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury Blue Jays Release Miguel Batista Minor Moves: Cotts, Boyer, Barton Draft Notes: Manaea, Outfielders MLBTR Chat Transcript Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors