Happy New Year to all of our readers! Let's take a look back at the past seven days here on MLBTR:
- The Orioles continued to revamp their infield when they added Derrek Lee on a one-year deal worth close to $8MM. Lee's deal could total $10MM with incentives, and he should add yet another improved element to a rebuilt offense in Baltimore.
- Sticking in the AL East for a few more transactions: the Blue Jays signed Octavio Dotel for one year and $3.5MM with a club option for 2012, while the Red Sox brought back Hideki Okajima on a one-year deal.
- The Brewers signed Takashi Saito to a one-year deal with a base salary under $2MM. While he carries health risks, a healthy Saito at that price is a bargain, especially given this year's relief market.
- The Rangers made a pair of signings this week. First, they brought Brandon Webb on board for one year with a $3MM base and plenty of incentives. Second, they looked long-term and signed 16-year-old Venezuelan shortstop Rougned Odor for a $450K bonus.
- The Mets and Dodgers swapped lefty Mike Antonini and former top shortstop prospect Chin-lung Hu this week. Hu has been ranked as high as 55th on Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects list, but that was prior to 2008.
- With Lee off the board, the Nationals have turned their focus to Adam LaRoche, and have extended him a two-year offer worth $8MM-$9MM per season. LaRoche seems to be holding out for a third year.
- Adrian Beltre is still on the market, but the A's are no longer in on the free agent third baseman. Beltre appears to be down to the Rangers and Angels as serious suitors for the time being.
- Tons of rumors regarding the relief market this week, so let's tackle them with the remainder of this post. As many as 11 teams are interested in Brian Fuentes, particularly the Rays.
- Six teams, including the A's, are in on Chad Qualls, while the Orioles have interest in adding Grant Balfour.
- David Aardsma will undergo hip surgery to repair a torn labrum, meaning he won't be traded.
- Joakim Soria said he would OK a trade to the Yankees, or any other team, if given the opportunity.
- The White Sox have definite interest in bringing Rafael Soriano to the south side of Chicago, but they don't appear to have the remaining funds to do so.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco White Sox Getting Calls On De Aza, Viciedo Quick Hits: Samardzija, Santana, Lester, Dodgers Teams Scouting David Phelps, Yankee Catchers Mets Notes: Murphy, Wright, Trades, Seratelli
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors