Happy New Year to all of our readers! Let's take a look back at the past seven days here on MLBTR:
- The Orioles continued to revamp their infield when they added Derrek Lee on a one-year deal worth close to $8MM. Lee's deal could total $10MM with incentives, and he should add yet another improved element to a rebuilt offense in Baltimore.
- Sticking in the AL East for a few more transactions: the Blue Jays signed Octavio Dotel for one year and $3.5MM with a club option for 2012, while the Red Sox brought back Hideki Okajima on a one-year deal.
- The Brewers signed Takashi Saito to a one-year deal with a base salary under $2MM. While he carries health risks, a healthy Saito at that price is a bargain, especially given this year's relief market.
- The Rangers made a pair of signings this week. First, they brought Brandon Webb on board for one year with a $3MM base and plenty of incentives. Second, they looked long-term and signed 16-year-old Venezuelan shortstop Rougned Odor for a $450K bonus.
- The Mets and Dodgers swapped lefty Mike Antonini and former top shortstop prospect Chin-lung Hu this week. Hu has been ranked as high as 55th on Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects list, but that was prior to 2008.
- With Lee off the board, the Nationals have turned their focus to Adam LaRoche, and have extended him a two-year offer worth $8MM-$9MM per season. LaRoche seems to be holding out for a third year.
- Adrian Beltre is still on the market, but the A's are no longer in on the free agent third baseman. Beltre appears to be down to the Rangers and Angels as serious suitors for the time being.
- Tons of rumors regarding the relief market this week, so let's tackle them with the remainder of this post. As many as 11 teams are interested in Brian Fuentes, particularly the Rays.
- Six teams, including the A's, are in on Chad Qualls, while the Orioles have interest in adding Grant Balfour.
- David Aardsma will undergo hip surgery to repair a torn labrum, meaning he won't be traded.
- Joakim Soria said he would OK a trade to the Yankees, or any other team, if given the opportunity.
- The White Sox have definite interest in bringing Rafael Soriano to the south side of Chicago, but they don't appear to have the remaining funds to do so.
Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors