Let's round up the latest links on the National League's top team….
- Ruben Amaro Jr. told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that, before the season, the Phillies expressed a desire to "continue the relationship" with Ryan Madson. An extension before season's end is probably unlikely though. Madson's stock is improving with his ninth inning success, and agent Scott Boras figures to want to test the open market.
- Even with Chase Utley on his way back, the Phillies may need to acquire a bat to help jump-start their offense, writes Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer. As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes did last month, Brookover takes a look at a few potential targets for the Phils, who could be facing luxury taxes if they make a midseason move.
- Within the previously linked FOX Sports piece, Rosenthal speculates that a healthy Brad Lidge could become a trade chip for the Phillies, to make room for an offensive acquisition.
- In a separate Inquirer column, Brookover explains why Cody Overbeck is considered a better prospect than Double-A Reading teammate Matt Rizzotti.
- Newsday's Ken Davidoff is betting on Roy Oswalt turning down his 2012 mutual option if he enjoys a successful 2011 season. Davidoff thinks the right-hander, who has previously discussed the possibility of early retirement, "probably won't be in position to get a five-year contract but should get significant dollars" on the open market.