The Red Sox kick off the second half on Friday with a big series at Tropicana Field against the Rays. Here are some notes about the club with the AL's best record...
- The Red Sox have contacted the Mets about Carlos Beltran, a Boston team official tells Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston (Twitter link). According to the official, however, the Sox were "just doing [their] due diligence."
- Beltran would certainly fill Boston's hole in right field, an area that GM Theo Epstein admitted is an area of concern, reports MLB.com's Ian Browne. Epstein said he would make a move if necessary, but the GM also noted that the Sox could improve at the position from within, either with Josh Reddick playing more or J.D. Drew breaking out of his season-long slump.
- WEEI.com's Ryan Hannable has a partial transcript of Peter Gammons' appearance on the Mut & Merloni radio show today. Gammons said Boston faces "difficult decisions" on pending free agents David Ortiz and Jonathan Papelbon, particularly Papelbon since Daniel Bard is waiting in the wings as the club's next closer. Gammons believes if Papelbon wants a three-year deal worth $36MM or more, the Sox will let him go.
- Also from Gammons, he doesn't think Boston will trade a number of prospects for a starter like Matt Garza in order to solve its lack of rotation depth.
- The Red Sox face a 40-man roster crunch this winter, reports Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. "For that reason, the Red Sox can afford -- and, indeed, might be wise -- to trade three or four high-level prospects for an impact player," MacPherson writes. "Not only could that impact player help them win the World Series, but the trade could clear the 40-man-roster logjam and allow the Red Sox to retain some of the other prospects they've devoted so many resources to developing."
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Boston Red Sox | Carlos Beltran | David Ortiz | Jonathan Papelbon | Matt Garza | New York Mets
Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo Reds Designate Corky Miller For Assignment Cubs Release Kameron Loe Astros Release Rick Ankiel Blue Jays Designate Edgar Gonzalez For Assignment Pirates Release Jonathan Sanchez
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez Draft Notes: Gray, Manaea, Twins, White Sox Padres Don't Intend To Trade Chase Headley Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment A's Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Astros Open To Extension With Jose Altuve Minor Moves: Humber, Jeroloman, Boyer Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Halladay, Porcello, Dodgers Hanshin Tigers Pursuing David Aardsma Free Agent Stock Watch: Edward Mujica Best Command Among 2014 Free Agents
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors