We're just weeks away from the postseason, but there's still hot stove news flying around left and right, so let's look back at the past seven days:
- The top story this week came when the Cardinals signed Chris Carpenter to a two-year extension worth $21MM. That's a sizeable decrease from the $15MM salary they'd have paid him if the team had merely exercised his 2012 option.
- The Pirates extended general manager Neal Huntington on a four-year contract to continue exercising his long-term plan. Huntington has brought in names such as Jameson Taillon, Gerrit Cole, and Jose Tabata, just to name a few.
- The Diamondbacks will look into extending their own GM, as they consider the two-year club options on Kevin Towers' contract.
- Bob Castellini, owner of the Reds, says that both GM Walt Jocketty and manager Dusty Baker will be returning for the 2012 season.
- Giants CEO Bill Neukom announced that he will retire from his position at the end of the 2012 season. COO Larry Baer will step in and fill the vacancy.
- Logan Morrison filed a grievance against the Marlins over his demotion to Triple-A last month.
- Prince Fielder told reporters this week that 2011 will probably be his last year as a member of the Brewers.
- There have been some mentions of FIelder in connections with the Blue Jays over the past several months, but from the sound of things, Toronto won't be handing out any six- or seven-year deals in the near future.
- Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez is looking for a multi-year deal if he hits free agency this offseason.
- Another big money Cubs option is Ryan Dempster's $14MM player option, but the 34-year-old right-hander said this week that he hasn't thought about whether or not he'll exercise the option to this point.
- The Reds are considering hammering out an extension for closer Francisco Cordero.
- The Marlins, who released Mike Cameron this week, are also said to be considering an extension for one of their players. They'd like to retain Omar Infante's services rather than let him hit free agency.
- Carlos Beltran figures to be one of the top names on free agency this winter, and he'd consider a return to the Giants, but only if the team adds more offense. Getting a healthy Freddy Sanchez and Buster Posey back doesn't sound like it'll be enough for Beltran, though.
- Russell Martin would like to return to the Yankees, but he knows that with prospects like Jesus Montero and Austin Romine coming down the pipeline, he may not fit into the picture.
- The Twins would like to re-sign one of Michael Cuddyer or Jason Kubel this offseason, and there's been no talk of reducing their $113MM payroll.
- Sticking in the AL Central, the Royals will decide between keeping Melky Cabrera for the 2012 season or flipping him for pitching help this offseason.
- Pedro Feliciano signed a big multi-year deal with the Yankees last winter, but failed to appear in a game this season. Now, not only is his 2012 season in jeopardy, but his whole career is in danger.
- Omar Vizquel would like to play again in 2012, but a more surprising name is also interested in making a comeback; Dmitri Young would like to return to baseball next year.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors