Here's a look back at the original reporting and analysis produced by MLBTR's writing team this week..
- MLBTR was the first to learn of Wily Mo Pena's multi-year, multi-million dollar deal with Japan's Fukuoka Softbank Hawks. In eight major league seasons, Pena has a .250/.303/.445 slash line with 84 homers.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith asked some of baseball's top executives what they felt was the hardest-to-obtain commodity. Pirates GM Neal Huntington, Mets GM Sandy Alderson, and Orioles GM Dan Duquette all weighed in.
- Looking for cliffnotes on the new collective bargaining agreement? Don't worry, we've got you covered with a post on the CBA's details and ten highlights from the new agreement.
- Mike Axisa asked MLBTR readers which big name free agent will sign next and Mark Buehrle received the most votes with 3,805 (21%). David Ortiz and C.J. Wilson weren't far behind with 18% and 16% of the vote, respectively.
- MLBTR's GM Candidate series continued as Ben Nicholson-Smith interviewed Peter Woodfork, a senior VP in MLB’s baseball operations department.
- Kelly Johnson’s free agent stock has improved considerably in the past week and it has nothing to do with his ability to contribute on a baseball field, writes Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- Francisco Cordero became even more attractive on the open market when his Type A status was modified into a Type B by the new collective bargaining agreement, writes Mark Polishuk.
- Twelve months ago, Bartolo Colon was nothing more than an afterthought. Now, however, the pitcher could get $3-4MM guaranteed on a one-year deal with incentives, Mike Axisa writes.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith gave his take on what we learned from this week's arbitration offers. Here's a look at some of the more interesting cases from this week.
- On Thursday, Mark Polishuk revisited the MLBTR writing staff's preseason picks. This season's playoff teams and award winners proved to be extremely hard to predict. Miraculously, I had the best luck of anyone as I correctly picked six out of the 17 possible categories.
- This week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In features analysis of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, discussions on the MVP award, and an examination of the Athletics' rebuilding process.
- I took a look at the Braves' pitching surplus and wondered if they might use it to improve in other areas.
- If you missed Tim Dierkes' weekly chat, you can check out the transcript right here.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith took a look at how the top AL MVP finishers and the top NL MVP finishers were acquired.
- Thirteen years ago this week, Bernie Williams re-signed with the Yankees after nearly joining the rival Red Sox that offseason. Williams' deal was worth $87.5MM over seven years.
- Aramis Ramirez's free agency seemingly came at a great time, writes Tim Dierkes. Tim writes that he can picture three years and as much as $42MM for Ramirez, but at this point it's unclear where that might come from.
- On Thursday, more than 71% of MLBTR readers polled said that Bobby Valentine would be the next manager of the Red Sox. We also asked where MLBTR readers believe that C.J. Wilson will land and less than 10% see him re-signing with the Rangers.
- While the Marlins are busy trying to lure free agents to their new ballpark in Miami, they also have decisions to make about some players they currently employ. One of those players is non-tender candidate Chris Volstad, writes Mike Axisa.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco White Sox Getting Calls On De Aza, Viciedo Quick Hits: Samardzija, Santana, Lester, Dodgers Teams Scouting David Phelps, Yankee Catchers Mets Notes: Murphy, Wright, Trades, Seratelli
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors