Here's a look back at the original reporting and analysis produced by MLBTR's writing team this week..
- MLBTR was the first to learn of Wily Mo Pena's multi-year, multi-million dollar deal with Japan's Fukuoka Softbank Hawks. In eight major league seasons, Pena has a .250/.303/.445 slash line with 84 homers.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith asked some of baseball's top executives what they felt was the hardest-to-obtain commodity. Pirates GM Neal Huntington, Mets GM Sandy Alderson, and Orioles GM Dan Duquette all weighed in.
- Looking for cliffnotes on the new collective bargaining agreement? Don't worry, we've got you covered with a post on the CBA's details and ten highlights from the new agreement.
- Mike Axisa asked MLBTR readers which big name free agent will sign next and Mark Buehrle received the most votes with 3,805 (21%). David Ortiz and C.J. Wilson weren't far behind with 18% and 16% of the vote, respectively.
- MLBTR's GM Candidate series continued as Ben Nicholson-Smith interviewed Peter Woodfork, a senior VP in MLB’s baseball operations department.
- Kelly Johnson’s free agent stock has improved considerably in the past week and it has nothing to do with his ability to contribute on a baseball field, writes Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- Francisco Cordero became even more attractive on the open market when his Type A status was modified into a Type B by the new collective bargaining agreement, writes Mark Polishuk.
- Twelve months ago, Bartolo Colon was nothing more than an afterthought. Now, however, the pitcher could get $3-4MM guaranteed on a one-year deal with incentives, Mike Axisa writes.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith gave his take on what we learned from this week's arbitration offers. Here's a look at some of the more interesting cases from this week.
- On Thursday, Mark Polishuk revisited the MLBTR writing staff's preseason picks. This season's playoff teams and award winners proved to be extremely hard to predict. Miraculously, I had the best luck of anyone as I correctly picked six out of the 17 possible categories.
- This week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In features analysis of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, discussions on the MVP award, and an examination of the Athletics' rebuilding process.
- I took a look at the Braves' pitching surplus and wondered if they might use it to improve in other areas.
- If you missed Tim Dierkes' weekly chat, you can check out the transcript right here.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith took a look at how the top AL MVP finishers and the top NL MVP finishers were acquired.
- Thirteen years ago this week, Bernie Williams re-signed with the Yankees after nearly joining the rival Red Sox that offseason. Williams' deal was worth $87.5MM over seven years.
- Aramis Ramirez's free agency seemingly came at a great time, writes Tim Dierkes. Tim writes that he can picture three years and as much as $42MM for Ramirez, but at this point it's unclear where that might come from.
- On Thursday, more than 71% of MLBTR readers polled said that Bobby Valentine would be the next manager of the Red Sox. We also asked where MLBTR readers believe that C.J. Wilson will land and less than 10% see him re-signing with the Rangers.
- While the Marlins are busy trying to lure free agents to their new ballpark in Miami, they also have decisions to make about some players they currently employ. One of those players is non-tender candidate Chris Volstad, writes Mike Axisa.
Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams Poll: The Next 2012 First-Rounder To Be Called Up Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets Commenting Policy AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury Blue Jays Release Miguel Batista Minor Moves: Cotts, Boyer, Barton Draft Notes: Manaea, Outfielders MLBTR Chat Transcript Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Jose Altuve Rejoins Octagon; Leaves Boras Choo Not Thinking About Long-Term Deal
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors