Sandy Alderson told reporters that it's fair to assume the Mets won't sign free agents who cost more than $1.5MM before Spring Training, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. The GM also explained that teams generally have "a greater reluctance to make a big deal" as Spring Training draws closer. Here are more details on the Mets:
- Alderson said he's looking to fill out his bench and bullpen, according to Rubin. The GM said he wants a backup shortstop and a "swingman" for the pitching staff.
- Alderson recently met with free agent Chris Young in San Diego, according to Rubin. "He's the kind of guy we might re-sign under the right circumstances," the GM said.
- Johan Santana is in a normal progression toward Spring Training, Alderson said.
- The Mets continue looking at Ronny Cedeno as a backup shortstop option, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.
- The Mets aren’t likely to attempt to re-sign Willie Harris after agreeing to terms with Scott Hairston earlier today, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News tweets.