Here's a look back at the original reporting and analysis produced by our writing staff this week..
- Tim Dierkes was the first to learn of Pat Burrell's retirement. In nine seasons with the Phillies, the 35-year-old hit .257/.367/.485 with 251 home runs. Tim also listed this offseason's other candidates for retirement.
- Nationals GM Mike Rizzo doesn't have to worry about the top of his rotation for a while since Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg are under control through 2016, but Jordan Zimmermann can hit the open market a year earlier. Mike Axisa looked at what it would take for the Nats to lock the right-hander up.
- Speaking of the Nats' rotation, Ben Nicholson-Smith examined the club's retooled rotation.
- With the 2011-12 offseason winds down, Ben gave us a preview of 2013's best free agent starters.
- Roughly 29% of MLBTR readers think that Manny Ramirez will wind up signing with the Athletics, while almost 28% say that he'll go unsigned this winter.
- Only three of MLBTR's top 50 free agents remain unsigned, writes Mark Polishuk.
- Casey McGehee and Garrett Jones haven’t teamed up on the field yet, but they’re already linked through the arbitration process, writes BN-S. The two have had remarkably similar career arcs and statistical production.
- Tim Dierkes examined the worst contract extensions from two years ago.
- Howard Megdal noticed similarities between the free agency of Edwin Jackson and Jason Schmidt in 2001. He also found a way to work in an Arrested Development reference, which is pretty neat.
- MLBTR is increasing efforts to enforce our commenting policy. Get re-acquainted with the rules with this handy post.
- Anibal Sanchez is entering his final season as an arbitration eligible player, and the Marlins view him as a candidate for a contract extension.
- Why pay for a fantasy baseball magazine with outdated info when you can read everything at RotoAuthority.com for free? Here's a look at some of the site's best pieces from this past week.
- If you missed out on Tim's weekly chat, you can check out the transcript right here.
- Mike Axisa rounded up the best of the web for the latest installment of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- There's plenty to look forward to this month, but if recent history is any indication, we shouldn't be expecting franchise-altering trades to go down in the next six weeks, Ben writes. The calm six week stretch can largely be attributed to teams wanting to see what they have in-house before looking for outside help.
- MLBTR is seeking a part-time ad sales person.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors