On this date in 2006, the Yankees acquired infielder Nick Green from the Devil Rays for cash. As our Transaction Tracker shows, it's the only trade ever made between the two division rivals. Here's the latest from the AL East...
- "We're always interested in the pitching market and any developments in the market," said Orioles GM Dan Duquette to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com when asked about the team's reported interest in Roy Oswalt. He wouldn't confirm if the club has watched Oswalt throw recently.
- Duquette also told Kubatko that a contract extension with Adam Jones is not imminent, and he wouldn't confirm if the Orioles and their star center fielder have spoken recently.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Orioles put a waiver claim in on John Gaub, but lost it to the Rangers because they have a better record (Twitter links). Baltimore came into the day 28-17 while Texas is 27-18.
- “My impression is not only do [the Steinbrenners] all love being part of [owning the Yankees], I think they are interested in handing it to their kids,” said Yankees GM Brian Cashman to Joel Sherman of The New York Post when asked about rumors of the team potentially going up for sale.
- ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. wrote about Yankees right-hander Ivan Nova and his path to the big leagues. He worked out for the Red Sox in the Dominican Republic but said "I really didn't want to sign with Boston ... My father and I were both Yankee fans."