The international signing period begins next week, which means it won’t be long before teams can officially start locking up a new class of talented young players. Keep in mind that each team now operates with a $2.9MM budget and that deals won’t become official before next week. Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com has the latest on some bright young players and potential deals:
- It’s rumored that the Mets will sign Dominican shortstop Germán Ahmed Rosario, Rojas tweets. Rosario would obtain a bonus of roughly $1.7MM.
- The Blue Jays look to have the inside track with Venezuelan shortstop Franklin Barreto, Rojas writes.
- It's rumored that the Padres are a likely destination for Dominican third baseman Carlos Belén, Rojas tweets. Belén could sign for around $1MM.
- Venezuelan catcher Luis Torrens could sign a lucrative deal with the Yankees, Rojas tweets.
- Dominican shortstop Wendell Rijo could sign with the Rays for $800K or so, Rojas tweets.