The Royals won their first World Series contest on this date in 1985 thanks to a complete game from Bret Saberhagen. Kansas City would go on to win the ’85 World Series, but they haven’t returned to the postseason since. Here’s the latest from their division...
- If Zack Greinke isn't a fit in Kansas City, the Royals should go all-in to sign free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez, Rany Jazayerli writes. Edwin Jackson could be another worthwhile free agent target, but GM Dayton Moore should avoid Kyle Lohse, in Jazayerli's view.
- I previewed the Royals’ offseason earlier in the month.
- The Twins announced the hiring of three coaches, including longtime MLB catcher Terry Steinbach. Steinbach will become the team's bench coach and catching instructor, Tom Brunansky has been named the hitting coach, and Bobby Cuellar has been named bullpen coach.
- The Tigers announced the hiring of Scott Bream as their pro scouting director. Bream spent the past two seasons as a scout and special assistant with the Padres after spending more than a decade with the Tigers from 1999-2010.
- I compiled some more Tigers-related notes from this morning.