Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio offered his five bold predictions for the Winter Meetings including the Mets trading R.A. Dickey and the Rangers re-signing Josh Hamilton to a four-year contract. Here are some other notes from Bowden (all Twitter links):
- Dickey made an appearance today at the Gaylord Opryland, site of the Winter Meetings, to meet the Mets trainer to follow-up on his recent abdominal surgery. Dickey expressed optimism a contract extension will happen, but a source tells Bowden the sides aren't close to a deal.
- The Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Cardinals, and A's are all in on free agent shortstop Stephen Drew.
- The Yankees' interest in Drew is based on serious concern about the declining range of both Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.
- The Red Sox are in pursuit of Drew because they are not sure of Jose Iglesias' bat and Xander Bogaerts is at least a year away.
- If the Cardinals sign Drew, look for Rafael Furcal to be traded or moved to second base.