The holidays are here but there's never too little time to catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR...
- The Mets sold high on R.A. Dickey after the 38-year-old knuckleballer's Cy Young season, trading him to the Blue Jays as part of a seven-player deal. Toronto will receive Dickey, Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas in exchange for John Buck and prospects Travis d'Arnaud, Noah Syndergaard and Wuilmer Becerra. As part of the deal, Toronto has also agreed to a three-year extension with Dickey.
- The Tigers agreed to sign free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez to a five-year contract worth $80MM that includes a 2018 club option. Sanchez posted a 3.86 ERA with 7.7 K/9, 2.2 BB/9 and a 46.4% ground ball rate in 195 2/3 regular season innings this past season.
- The Mariners and Raul Ibanez agreed to a one-year contract worth $2.75MM with another 1.25MM in incentive performances. The ACES client played in Seattle from 1996-2000 and 2004-2008.
- Arizona officially signed Cody Ross to a three-year contract with a fourth year club option. The deal is worth $26MM, which includes a $1MM buyout of the option.
- The Pirates agreed to sign free agent left-hander Francisco Liriano to a two-year, $12.75MM contract. Liriano pitched for the Twins and White Sox this past season, posting a 5.34 ERA with 9.6 K/9, 5.0 BB/9 and a 43.8% ground ball rate in 156 2/3 innings.
- The Indians reached a minor league deal with Scott Kazmir. Cleveland is taking a low-risk chance on the left-hander following his strong performance in Puerto Rico this winter.
- Jeremy Bonderman agreed to a minor league deal with the Mariners, with an invitation to spring training. The right-hander dropped 35 pounds from his frame and is set to start throwing again in January.
- The Astros signed right-handed reliever Jose Veras to a one-year contract worth $2MM. In 72 appearances for Milwaukee in 2012, Veras posted a 3.63 ERA with 10.6 K/9, 5.4 BB/9 and a 43.8% ground ball rate in 67 innings.
- The Cubs agreed to a one-year deal with outfielder Nate Schierholtz worth $2.25MM with $500K in incentives. Schierholtz hit .257/.321/.407 in 269 plate appearances for the Giants and Phillies this year, playing mostly right field.
- The Brewers signed free-agent left-hander Tom Gorzelanny to a two-year contract worth $5.75MM. Gorzelanny appeared in 45 games for the Nationals this past season, posting a 2.88 ERA with 7.8 K/9, 3.8 BB/9 and a 42.9% ground ball rate in 72 innings.
- Free agent infielder Casey McGehee agreed to play in Japan for the Rakuten Eagles next season. The veteran will receive at one-year deal worth $1.5MM with incentives up to $500K.
- The Twins signed free agent starter Rich Harden to a minor league contract that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training. Harden last pitched at the MLB level in 2011, posting a 5.12 ERA with 9.9 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 in 82 2/3 innings for the Athletics.
- The Rangers and A.J. Pierzynski agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth $7.5MM. The catcher posted a .278/.326/.501 batting line in 520 plate appearances with 27 home runs in 2012.
- The Cubs agreed to sign Edwin Jackson to a four-year, $52MM contract. The 29-year-old spent the 2012 season with the Nationals, posting a 4.03 ERA with 8.0 K/9, 2.8 BB/9 and a 47.3% ground ball rate in 189 2/3 regular season innings.
- The Marlins signed Placido Polanco to a one-year contract. The 37-year-old hit 15 doubles and posted a .257/.302/.327 batting line in 328 plate appearances this past season.
- The Phillies officially signed veteran reliever Mike Adams. It's a two-year contract worth $12MM with a third year club/vesting option worth $6.5MM.
- The Twins signed right-hander Mike Pelfrey to a one-year, $4MM contract. The former Wichita State star can also earn up to $1.5MM in incentives.
- The Cubs agreed to sign Carlos Villanueva to a two-year, $10MM deal. Villanueva, 29, pitched to a 4.16 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 125 1/3 innings spread across 16 starts and 22 relief appearances for the Blue Jays last season.
- The Rockies re-signed lefty Jeff Francis. It's a one-year contract worth $1.5MM guaranteed with another $1.5M in incentives based on innings pitched.
- The Yankees officially re-signed Ichiro Suzuki to a two-year contract worth $13MM. Ichiro has 2,606 hits, two batting titles, ten All-Star Game selections and a career .322/.365/.419 in 12 MLB seasons.
- Two AL West rivals agreed to exchange prominent players in a deal that will address major needs for both clubs. The Mariners and Angels agreed to a trade that will send Kendrys Morales to Seattle for left-hander Jason Vargas.
- The Giants and right-hander Santiago Casilla agreed to a three-year, $15MM contract with a vesting option for a fourth season. The deal will pay Casilla $4.5MM in 2013 and 2014 and $5MM in 2015, plus a $1MM buyout for 2016 if his option doesn't vest.
- The Rays signed free agent right-hander Roberto Hernandez to a one-year, Major League contract. The deal, worth $3.25MM including $1.85MM in incentives, some of which are based on innings and some of which are based on relief appearances.
- The Indians signed Mark Reynolds to a one-year contract. The deal is worth $6MM and could reach $7.5MM if Reynolds reaches his performance incentives.
- The Phillies agreed to sign left-hander John Lannan to a one-year, $2.5MM contract. The deal includes another $2.5M in bonuses.
- The Athletics traded outfielder Collin Cowgill to the Mets for minor league infielder Jefry Marte, the team announced. The trade frees up a 40-man roster spot for Oakland, who officially announced the Hiroyuki Nakajima signing as well.
- The Red Sox signed reliever Koji Uehara to a one-year deal worth $4.25MM. Uehara, 38 in April, posted a 1.75 ERA, 10.8 K/9, 0.8 BB/9, 1.00 HR/9, and 32.5% groundball rate in 36 innings this year, missing time with a strained lat muscle.
- The Astros agreed to sign Carlos Pena to a one-year contract worth $2.9MM. The Scott Boras client can earn another $1.4MM in incentives.
- The Red Sox agreed to sign free agent shortstop Stephen Drew to a one-year contract worth $9.5MM plus up to $500K in incentives. He posted a .223/.309/.348 batting line with seven home runs in 327 plate appearances for the Diamondbacks and Athletics this past season.
White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners To Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins To Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants To Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco Reds Re-Sign Manny Parra Dodgers Sign Dan Haren Rays Sign Jose Molina Cardinals Sign Jhonny Peralta
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Lincoln, Coghlan, Morrison Tigers Sign Joe Nathan NPB Officials Planning To Accept $20MM Maximum Posting Fee Cubs Likely To Trade Samardzija This Offseason D-Backs Looking To Trade Market For Ace, Power Bats Mariners May Have Topped Yankees' Offer To Cano Athletics Designate Andrew Werner For Assignment Tigers Designate Dixon Machado For Assignment James Loney Seeking Three-Year Deal Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Red Sox Notes: Granderson, Ellsbury, Salty, Lavarnway Pirates, Rays Targeting James Loney Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Yankees Close To Signing Kelly Johnson
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors