In a wide-ranging talk with the media (transcript courtesy of MLB.com's Gregor Chisholm), Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos hit on a number of interesting topics regarding his organization. Among the highlights:
- Defense has been an issue for the Blue Jays this season, as they rank 26th in errors and fielding percentage and 25th in terms of UZR. Acknowledging the problems, Anthopoulos suggested that the team will "evaluate [defense] even more than we have" and place "even more value on it" going forward. "I don't think these guys are trying to make mistakes," said Anthopoulos. "I think ultimately then it falls on me to get certain players that are going to start to make those plays."
- Looking at the club's rotation in the near future, Anthopoulos said that he plans to "be looking outside the organization to see if we can do things." He also expressed hope that younger arms like Drew Hutchison, Kyle Drabek, and Brandon Morrow can ovecome their respective setbacks in the near future. Minor league starters Marcus Stroman and Sean Nolin could both receive call-ups later this year, added the Jays' GM. Meanwhile, veteran Josh Johnson has struggled long enough that the club will "have to look at alternatives at some point if this continues," with Johnson's rotation spot potentially at risk. (Anthopoulos said that the righty is only "start to start at this point.")
- The club's other most pressing area of need is at second base, said Anthopoulos. While he believes that Brett Lawrie could handle the keystone, Anthopoulos indicated that "second base looks like it will be easier to fill" through the trade or free agent market.
- Anthopoulos expects the club's salary levels to remain high ("we won't be going backwards") and says ownership will continue to provide the financial resources to support a contending ballclub. He noted that, other than Jose Reyes, the team's future contract commitments generally only run through 2015.
- Reflecting on August waiver and trade season, Anthopoulos said that too much is often made of a team placing a player on waivers. "If certain All-Stars get claimed, I just think if you didn't see them traded by the end of July they're probably not going to get traded. Guys that are free agents, guys with big contracts, those are the only ones that I think should be big stories." Anthopoulos went on to explain that the club's policy of putting all of its players on waivers after the trade deadline has never caused any clubhouse issues, with the possible exception of the Alex Rios claim back in 2009.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors