As the Red Sox look to continue to extend their lead over the rest of the American League East, let's look at some links out of Boston ...
- While a source says that the Sox are still "kicking stuff around" regarding a possible trade today, WEEI.com's Rob Bradford reports that nothing appears imminent. Bradford notes that Boston has been quiet in part because it has failed to see desirable players reach its spot on the waiver wire during August. The club is most likely looking to add bullpen depth at this point, Bradford notes, and is seemingly no longer interested in the Phillies' Michael Young, who has cleared waivers.
- The Sox need to do everything possible to add a bullpen piece, argues John Tomase of the Boston Globe. Noting that GM Ben Cherington's track record with relievef pitching acquisitions has been spotty, Tomase argues that the team should find an alternative set-up option to the inconsistent Junichi Tazawa. It should be noted that Tazawa has continued to post the same impressive strikeout-to-walk rate that he did last year: in 2013, he has 9.45 K/9 and 1.35 BB/9. He has seen his ERA inflate to a still-solid 2.70 (in 60 innings pitched) due primarily to a much higher home run rate (1.20 HR/9) than the very low rate (.20 HR/9) he put up last year.
- Cherington discussed a few topics in a short interview yesterday with Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com (video link). He noted, in particular, that he believes this club has been constructed with sufficient depth and professionalism to avoid another historic collapse over the stretch run.
- One of the key players in this season's so-far successful run is outfielder Shane Victorino, whose solid bat and spectacular defense has been worth at least five wins above replacement according to both Fangraphs and Baseball-Reference. As WEEI.com's Alex Speier writes, the three-year, $39MM deal that brought Victorino to Boston -- which was viewed by some as an overpay at the time -- has been an unquestionable bargain.
- In another piece, Speier looks at recent Red Sox acquisition Jake Peavy and the two key trades that have shaped his career. Looking back at the 2009 trade that sent him to the White Sox, Peavy said that he knew "the Padres had to move me" and was prepared to consider Chicago since he had previously vetoed another deal that would have sent him there.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors