Trade Rumors Apps
- White Sox To Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- A’s Acquire Ike Davis, Designate Andrew Brown
- Indians Notes: Swisher, Bourn, Masterson, Hamels
- Rangers Notes: Upton, Andrus, Gallo, Alfaro
- Latest On Hyeon-jong Yang
- West Notes: Robertson, Astros, Sandoval, Kennedy
- Cafardo On Fowler, Astros, Hammel, Miley
- Indians Designate Scott Barnes For Assignment
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: D’Backs, Upton, Angels
- Indians Acquire Charles Brewer
- Quick Hits: Twins, Albers, Bavasi, Scherzer
- Dodgers Acquire Mike Bolsinger, Designate Jarret Martin
- AL East Notes: Yankees Roster, Joyce, Rays Managerial Finalists
- Minor Moves: Lannan, Cisnero, Savery, Laffey, Britton, Triunfel
- Pablo Sandoval Rumors: Saturday
- Orioles To Sign Rey Navarro To Major League Deal
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Adalberto Ibarra Rumors
The Red Sox signed Adalberto Ibarra to a minor league deal with a considerably smaller bonus than expected after the catcher failed his physical, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com. The Red Sox were set to sign Ibarra to a major league deal worth at least $3MM, but he failed his physical because of a relatively minor problem. Boston was no longer comfortable offering $3MM, so they signed Ibarra for $700-800K.
Both sides wanted to work out a deal, even after the failed physical. Ibarra, who defected from Cuba last year, has noteworthy bat speed and plate discipline.
The injuries keep coming for the Red Sox and so do the rumors. Here's the latest on Boston's options behind the plate, now and in the future:
- Alex Speier of WEEI.com notes that the Red Sox could have interest in Kevin Cash if Victor Martinez goes on the DL. Cash, now in Houston's system, has experience catching many Red Sox pitchers, including Tim Wakefield. He would probably be available for a small return.
- Cash could become Boston's immediate solution, but today they moved closer to adding a backstop who could help them in a couple years. Cuban catcher Adalberto Ibarra took his physical today according to the catcher's agency on Twitter. Speier notes that the deal should become official once the results of the physical are available. The Red Sox agreed to a $3MM deal with the 22-year-old in April.
- Red Sox 2010 draft pick Anthony Ranaudo is returning to form in the Cape Cod League, according to Jason A. Churchill of ESPN.com. Ranaudo's stock fell as the draft approached and elbow issues surfaced, but he has considerable upside, as MLBTR's Mike Axisa explains in this post.
Links to check out as we await Cliff Lee's Mariners debut…
- BoSox manager Terry Francona says that the upcoming player move to make room on the roster for Daisuke Matsuzaka will almost certainly involve a pitcher, tweets Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald.
- If you play fantasy baseball, be sure to follow our @closernews feed on Twitter. We've got instant news on all closer situations, enabling you to conquer the save category.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports takes a behind-the-scenes look at the Ryan Howard extension negotiations, speaking to Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. and Howard's agent, Casey Close.
- In an MLB.com mailbag, T.R. Sullivan suggests that Frank Francisco could be a prime trade candidate in July, particularly if the Rangers are slipping from playoff contention.
- Luis Mendoza cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Omaha, tweets Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star. Mendoza was designated for assignment by the Royals last week.
- GM Jim Hendry says prospect Starlin Castro will join the Cubs at some point this season, but he won't say how soon, according to ESPNChicago. A source told Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago earlier in the week that Castro's promotion could be right around the corner.
- ESPN.com's Rob Neyer doesn't think the White Sox have any need for Jermaine Dye. We heard earlier today that Dye believes he'd be a fit for the South Siders.
- Talking to Tom Krasovic of AOL FanHouse, Brewers outfielder Jody Gerut explained why the Padres should retain Adrian Gonzalez.
- Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez answered questions from Denver Post readers, explaining that "it's a really bad feeling when you get traded" and he'd like to sign a contract "for a few years." Gonzalez is not arbitration-eligible until after the 2011 season, and he's represented by Scott Boras.
- The Yankees are not typically inclined to sign young players to long-term deals. It makes sense to maintain flexibility, as they did going year-to-year with Chien-Ming Wang. On the other hand, Joel Sherman of the New York Post points out that Robinson Cano's extension has worked out quite well. Will the Yankees exercise his $14MM club option for 2012, or choose the $2MM buyout?
- Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald believes that the future of the Red Sox catching position points more toward Adalberto Ibarra than Victor Martinez.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adalberto Ibarra | Adrian Gonzalez | Boston Red Sox | Carlos Gonzalez | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Colorado Rockies | Daisuke Matsuzaka | Frank Francisco | Jermaine Dye | Jody Gerut | Kansas City Royals | Luis Mendoza | New York Yankees | Philadelphia Phillies | Robinson Cano | Ryan Howard | San Diego Padres | Starlin Castro | Texas Rangers | Victor Martinez
The Red Sox signed Cuban catcher Adalberto Ibarra to a five-year Major League deal, according to Cubanballplayers.com. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe confirmed the signing with Ibarra's agent Edwin Mejia. Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says the deal guarantees $3MM, "with incentives that could bring the total to $4.3MM." Silverman says Ibarra will report to the team's minor league complex before they decide where to assign him.
Ibarra, 22, played catcher, first base, second base, and third base in Cuba, but Cubanballplayers.com says the Sox view him as a backstop. According to Silverman, he hasn't focused on catching until the last few years.