Weekly email list
- Braves Working On Alberto Callaspo Trade
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- Right-Hander Norge Ruiz Leaves Cuba, Will Seek Deal With MLB Club
- Smyly Will Not Have Surgery, Is Confident He Can Pitch In 2015
- Hyun-jin Ryu Undergoes Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Hyun-jin Ryu To Undergo Shoulder Surgery
- Mariners Acquire Welington Castillo From Cubs For Yoervis Medina
- Bruce Chen Announces Retirement
- Red Sox Outright Allen Craig
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- NL Notes: Liz, Urena, Anderson
- Braves Working On Alberto Callaspo Trade
- NL West Notes: Dodgers, Gaudin, JJ, Morrow, Myers
- Free Agent Stock Watch: Howie Kendrick
- Minor Moves: Paterson, Nash, Parker, Cerse, Bell, Ryan
- Mets Notes: Trades, Wright
- Pirates Designate Radhames Liz For Assignment
- Draft Notes: Seniors, Royals, Red Sox, Trout
- Giants Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment
- Reds Notes: Cueto, Marshall, Mesoraco
- AL East Links: Matusz, Tanaka, Arencibia
- Cubs Notes: Baez, Russell, Schwarber
- NL Notes: Price, Mets, Cubs, Frias, Upton
- AL East Notes: Lindgren, Red Sox, Blue Jays
- MLBTR Originals
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Bryan Corey Rumors
Some links for Friday…
- Jayson Stark and Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com expect the Cubs to go after free agent center fielders now that they've dealt Milton Bradley.
- John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer doesn't expect the Reds to deal Aaron Harang in the near future.
- The Chiba Lotte Marines signed Bryan Corey, according to NPB Tracker.
- A source close to Javier Vazquez tells MLB.com's Mark Bowman that it's highly unlikely the pitcher would approve a trade to a west coast team like the Angels. The Braves are still interested in trading Derek Lowe.
- USA Today's Bob Nightengale says it would be an upset to see anyone but the Cardinals sign Matt Holliday.
- Now that the Dodgers have traded Juan Pierre, the Angels are optimistic about unloading Gary Matthews Jr. and his contract, according to Ed Price of AOL FanHouse. The Angels will have to eat some of the $23MM owed to Matthews if they hope to deal him.
- O's reliever Jim Johnson tells Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he's glad to have new acquisition Mike Gonzalez around.
- Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News says the Yankees still need another arm. Brian Cashman says the Yankees aren't done.
- Tyler Kepner of the New York Times expects the Yanks to spend big on next year's free agent class.
- New Blue Jay Kyle Drabek tells the Toronto Sun that he doesn't plan on changing his approach, though he does feel some pressure as a major piece of the Roy Halladay trade.
- Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says the Pirates evaluate players and then stand by the figures they decide on almost all the time. This approach prevents the Pirates from over-spending and sometimes prevents them from signing their targets (like Miguel Angel Sano).
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Brewers expect Claudio Vargas to take his physical today and finalize his deal.
- Yahoo's Jeff Passan examines Scott Boras' relationship with mystery teams.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Harang | Baltimore Orioles | Bryan Corey | Chicago Cubs | Cincinnati Reds | Claudio Vargas | Derek Lowe | Gary Matthews Jr. | Javier Vazquez | Josh Johnson | Kyle Drabek | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Matt Holliday | Milwaukee Brewers | Mystery Team | New York Yankees | Pittsburgh Pirates | Scott Boras | St. Louis Cardinals | Toronto Blue Jays
This morning, Tom Krasovic noted that the Padres were close to acquiring a relief pitcher. That deal has now been finalized with the Pads obtaining Bryan Corey from the Red Sox for either cash or a player to be named later.
Corey, a right-hander who made seven appearances for the Sox this season, was DFA’d on April 30. He cleared waivers and accepted a demotion to AAA.
This is Corey’s second stint in the Padres organization. Corey, 34, has appeared in parts of five seasons with four different major league teams.
Corey, 34, has decent big league stats in 53 career innings but could never hold a job. Aquino, 30, has been done in by home runs, walks, and injuries in his career. He did manage to close for the D’Backs in ’04.
Who wants a 34 year-old journeyman? A month ago, the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo noted that the Orioles were scouting him. A return to Japan may be another option.
Snyder, now 30 years old, was the seventh overall pick by the Royals in the 1999 draft. He was tolerable as a middle reliever for the Red Sox last year, though his control was poor. He had two labrum surgeries in ’03 and ’04, and that injury reoccurred in ’05. The Royals designated him the following year, and the Sox claimed him off waivers.
Here’s a look at Snyder’s pitch type data from last year. Most projection systems predict an ERA around 4.80 this year for him.
By the way, the Red Sox will also be designating Bryan Corey tonight.
Rumor king Ken Rosenthal has the latest at FOXSports.com.
- Looks like the Padres will give near-regular playing time to Jody Gerut, at least until Jim Edmonds returns. If Gerut performs, Kevin Towers may be able to stop his outfielder search. Still, Rosenthal notes the Padres’ interest in Seattle’s Jeremy Reed. Reed has two options left, by the way.
- Rosenthal names three Boston players who are out of options and probably available for little: David Aardsma, Bryan Corey, and Kyle Snyder. The O’s are known to be eyeing Corey. You can check out our running out of options list here.
- The A’s wanted spring sensation/top pitching prospect Johnny Cueto from the Reds for Joe Blanton – no deal.
Boston Globe baseball writer Nick Cafardo’s Sunday column has new hot stove material, as usual.
- Cafardo notes that Kyle Snyder, Julian Tavarez, and Bryan Corey have all been heavily scouted by other clubs. Snyder is out of options, so he’s a good trade candidate. Cafardo mentioned on Thursday that the Orioles were taking a look at Corey, who might return to Japan if he doesn’t join a big league ‘pen. I imagine the Sox are going to want the insurance Tavarez provides.
- The Phils are hunting for a southpaw reliever and another starter. Brian Fuentes remains on their radar, but they’re competing with the Tigers and Yankees for him.
- The Indians could make southpaws Jeremy Sowers and/or Aaron Laffey available, if Cliff Lee maintains his spring success. Cafardo says the Cardinals, Phillies, and Astros are eyeing them.
I write this odds and ends post with two less wisdom teeth than I had yesterday. Looks like applesauce for dinner.
- Jon Heyman says the Dodgers and Tigers haven’t talked lately, and doesn’t see L.A. taking on Brandon Inge‘s $19.1MM. Aside from the standard Giants suggestion, Heyman puts on his speculation cap and wonders whether Inge could catch for Houston. What is J.R. Towles, chopped liver?
- This is questionable, but hey, it’s a Friday. Hi5 is a popular social networking site in Central America. A reader sent me a link to this page, which may belong to future superstar kid shortstop/Boras client Edward Salcedo. The owner of the page slapped up a big ol’ Indians logo over a month ago with the caption "my team." I have to reiterate that I don’t know if this is really Salcedo’s page. The Tribe said on Tuesday that Salcedo remained unsigned.
- The Orioles are observing 34 year-old journeyman reliever Bryan Corey.
- Joe Nathan, still chatting contract with the Twins. Kelly Thesier noted that it was the Twins reaching out recently. Nathan’s agent will meet with them Tuesday.
- Jacob Jackson goes out on a limb and wonders if Justin Upton could be Oakland’s first $100MM player.
- The new Phils-ville blog is up.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Brandon Inge | Bryan Corey | Cleveland Indians | Detroit Tigers | Edward Salcedo | Houston Astros | Joe Nathan | Justin Upton | Los Angeles Dodgers | Minnesota Twins | Oakland Athletics | Philadelphia Phillies | San Francisco Giants