Trade Rumors Apps
- Marlins Acquire Martin Prado From Yankees
- Padres Acquire Derek Norris
- Padres, Rays, Nationals Agree To Wil Myers Trade
- Royals To Sign Edinson Volquez
- Indians Sign Gavin Floyd
- Angels, Rays Swap Kevin Jepsen, Matt Joyce
- Marlins To Sign Michael Morse
- Royals To Sign Alex Rios
- Dodgers To Sign Brett Anderson
- Yankees Sign Chase Headley
- Astros Sign Jed Lowrie
- White Sox To Sign Melky Cabrera
- Red Sox Acquire Wade Miley
- Twins Sign Ervin Santana
- Red Sox Sign Justin Masterson
- Non-Tender Tracker
- Non-Tender Candidates
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Free Agent Spending By Division
- Quick Hits: Umpires, Parity, Yankees, Pirates, Tigers
- Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma
- Padres Have Discussed Trading Myers For Hamels
- West Notes: Tulo, Scutaro, Vogelsong, A’s, Astros
- MLBTR Originals
- AL East Notes: Wieters, Rays, Yankees
- Spring Training Deadline For Justin Upton Extension
- NL Notes: Dodgers, Padres, Stewart, Braves
- Cafardo On Shields, Scherzer, Wieters, Tulowitzki
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Blue Jays, Rasmus, D’Backs
- Nexen Accepts Jung-ho Kang Posting Fee From Unknown MLB Team
- Quick Hits: Cuba, Padres
- Poll: Will The Padres Reach The Postseason?
- McDaniel On International Bonus Pools
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Cody Eppley Rumors
We’ll keep track of the day’s minor moves here:
- WEEI.com’s Alex Speier reports that the Red Sox have released right-hander Kyle Stroup (Twitter links). As Speier explains, the former 50th-round pick was considered a steal as an up-and-coming prospect, but he blew out both ACLs in a span of three seasons and was never able to rediscover the promise he showed prior to his injuries.
- The Indians announced (on Twitter) that Double-A southpaw Matt Packer has been released. A 32nd-round pick in 2009, Packer reached Triple-A as a 24-year-old in 2012 but struggled to a 5.50 ERA. He went back to Double-A and enjoyed a strong campaign in 2013, pitching to a 3.27 ERA with 7.0 K/9 and 2.6 BB/9 in 154 innings. However, he faltered in his only two appearances of the season earlier this month. Packer has dealt with shoulder injuries throughout his minor league career but has been effective when healthy.
- The Pirates have released righty Cody Eppley, reports Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (via Twitter). The 28-year-old had been working as a reliever at Triple-A Indianapolis, and carried a 6.43 ERA with 5.1 K/9 and 5.8 BB/9 through 14 innings. Eppley had a strong 2012 season with the Yankees but has not returned to that form since.
- MLBTR’s DFA Tracker shows three names still in limbo: Evan Reed (Tigers), Josh Outman (Indians), and Josh Stinson (Orioles).
Here are today's minor moves from around the league…
- The Pirates announced that they have signed right-hander Cody Eppley and catcher Nevin Ashley to minor league contracts with invitations to Spring Training. Eppley, 28, pitched 46 innings of 3.33 ERA ball for the Yankees in 2012, averaging 6.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9. He split 2013 between the Twins, Yankees and independent ball, totaling a 6.08 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 6.1 BB/9. Ashley, 29, slashed .235/.328/.374 for Cincinnati's Triple-A affiliate.
Right-hander Cody Eppley has opted out of his minor league contract with the Twins and is now a free agent, MLBTR has learned. He will look to sign with another team in the season's final weeks.
Eppley, 27, signed a minor league deal with Minnesota back on June 13. After posting a 3.33 ERA with 6.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 46 innings for the Yankees last season, Eppley broke camp with the Bombers this Spring. However, he pitched just 1 2/3 innings for New York, allowing four runs before being demoted to Triple-A and ultimately designated for assignment.
In 24 innings for the Twins at Triple-A Rochester, he posted a 4.88 ERA with 7.5 K/9 and 4.9 BB/9. Eppley has 302 strikeouts in 272 1/3 career minor league innings, including 138 in 136 1/3 innings at Triple-A. When he's at his best, he generates plenty of ground-balls, as evidenced by his 60.3 percent ground-ball rate in 2012. He was one of 13 big league relievers with a ground-ball rate north of 60 percent in 2012 (minimum 40 innings pitched).
The Twins have signed right-hander Cody Eppley to a minor league contract, according to Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com (on Twitter). Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN has confirmed the signing with a Twins official and adds that the 27-year-old Eppley is likely ticketed for Triple-A Rochester (Twitter link).
Eppley broke camp with the Yankees this season but pitched just 1 2/3 innings before being outrighted to Triple-A. He pitched 46 innings of 3.33 ERA ball with 6.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 out of the Yankees' bullpen in 2012.
Eppley was selected out of Virginia Commonwealth in the 43rd round of the 2008 draft by the Rangers, and he has appeared in parts of three Major League seasons despite that being selected so far down in the draft. He is represented by Paragon Sports International.
The Yankees have designated right-hander Cody Eppley for assignment, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (on Twitter). The move clears a 40-man roster spot for fellow right-hander Preston Claiborne. In a related move, Joba Chamberlain was placed on the disabled list.
The 27-year-old Eppley broke camp with the Yankees but was optioned to Triple-A on April 6 after appearing in just two games. Eppley allowed four runs in 1 1/3 innings in his outing prior to being optioned. In 102 1/3 career innings at Triple-A, the former 43rd-round pick has a 3.51 ERA, 9.5 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9.
Claiborne, 25, was the Yankees' 17th-round pick in the 2010 draft. In 204 1/3 minor league innings, the Tulane product has a 3.00 ERA, 8.8 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9. Despite a respectable minor league track record, Claiborne has never appeared on Baseball America's list of Top 30 Yankees prospect. He also failed to crack Jonathan Mayo's list of Top 20 Yanks prospects at MLB.com.