- Tigers Acquire Price In Three-Team Deal With Rays, Mariners
- Marlins Acquire Jarred Cosart
- Braves Acquire James Russell, Emilio Bonifacio
- Twins Extend Kurt Suzuki
- Yankees Acquire Martin Prado
- Yankees Acquire Stephen Drew
- Orioles Acquire Andrew Miller
- Nationals Acquire Asdrubal Cabrera
- Mariners Acquire Chris Denorfia
- Brewers Acquire Gerardo Parra
- Cards Acquire Lackey For Craig, Kelly
- A's, Twins Swap Milone For Fuld
- A's Acquire Lester, Gomes For Cespedes
- Eric Chavez Retires
- Cubs Acquire Felix Doubront
- Cardinals Acquire Justin Masterson
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- NL West Links: Miller, Sabean, Rockies
- Matt Cain Likely To Undergo Elbow Surgery
- Rosenthal On Cardinals, Miller, Price, Beane
- Slusser’s Latest: Cespedes, Milone, Fuld
- A’s Designate Evan Scribner For Assignment
- Rays Release Jayson Nix
- Minor Moves: Thornburg, Johnson, Wilson
- Orioles Sign Joe Saunders To Minors Deal
- Orioles Designate Ryan Webb For Assignment
- Indians Designate Zach McAllister
- Red Sox Designate Mike Carp For Assignment
- July Trade Recap: AL Central
- Rangers Designate Ryan Feierabend
- Braves Designate Jordan Schafer For Assignment
- Giants Designate Dan Uggla, Tyler Colvin
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Craig Breslow Rumors
After starting 25 games last season for the Padres and Yankees, it is likely that Gaudin will be slotted into Oakland's bullpen. Several Athletics relievers have been bitten by the injury bug, including Michael Wuertz, Andrew Bailey, and Craig Breslow.
According to La Velle E. Neal of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the A's claimed lefty reliever Craig Breslow off waivers from the Twins. The Twins called up Anthony Swarzak in his place. Breslow, a 28 year-old Yale alum, posted a 6.28 ERA in 14.3 innings this year. Last year, though, he posted a 1.91 mark in 47 innings.
Swarzak, a righthanded starter, ranks as the Twins' 6th-best prospect according to Baseball America. BA says he has a plus fastball and curveball.
A few links from the afternoon/evening…
- Jim Thome’s 9th inning strikeout on Saturday night allowed his 2009 option to kick in, as it was his 564th plate appearance. Thome needed to reach 1100 plate appearances between 2007 and 2008 for the option to be a factor.
- Rockies’ closer Brian Fuentes would like to remain with the club in 2009. He enjoys his teammates and has experienced success, but also understands that baseball is a business and he may end up somewhere else.
- Another left-handed relief option that hasn’t garnered much attention is the Twins’ Dennys Reyes. Reyes is a free agent after the 2008 season, and credits the Twins for his turnaround over the past three seasons. He’d like to remain with the club, but because of new left-handed options like Craig Breslow and emerging prospect Jose Mijares, Reyes may have become expendable.
Continuing with Tim’s new tradition, here’s my take on some of the top rumors of the week from June 29 – July 6:
- The C.C. Sabathia sweepstakes is nearing an end, with the Brewers’ Matt LaPorta package being the frontrunner. We’ll let everyone know the full story as soon as possible.
- The Phillies extended Brad Lidge to a three-year contract. Lidge looks like his old self – great deal for Philadelphia. Looks like this means Brett Myers will remain in the rotation if he can get back on track.
- We heard a lot about the Rays’ growing interest for Colorado closer Brian Fuentes. They could be preparing an offer. Troy Percival has been good, but injury prone, and you almost hate to move Dan Wheeler from the eighth inning where he’s been so good all year.
- The shortstop market is hot, as the Dodgers, Orioles, and Jays would all like to upgrade. The Dodgers are interested in Jack Wilson, while the Orioles are looking at David Eckstein and possibly Juan Uribe or Felipe Lopez. The Jays could look to move A.J. Burnett and his contract for an upgrade there as well. Interesting that Toronto wants an upgrade over Eckstein, while Baltimore looks at him as an upgrade…
- The Indians finally cut Joe Borowski loose, designating him for assignment. Was this too little too late? They tried to sneak Craig Breslow through waivers earlier this year. I’m guessing they’d rather have the 1.42 ERA he’s posted this season than Borowski’s 7.56, but the Twins are enjoying Breslow’s benefits.
- Could the Angels add Matt Holliday? Seems unlikely with the stockpile of large contracts they already have in their outfield if you ask me.
- The A’s signed Michel Inoa for $4.25MM on Thursday.
- The Padres will be sellers this July. The onslaught of injuries have made this a frustrating season for San Diego. If you’d been able to see Adrian Gonzalez‘s monster numbers through July 1 before the season started, who would’ve believed this team wasn’t contending? Wow.
- For those who are interested, Tim looked at this past years’ offseason moves and compiled an All-Star lineup of free agent hitters signed prior to the 2008 season. That’d be a heck of a team to try to beat right now…
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Brad Lidge | Brian Fuentes | C.C. Sabathia | Cleveland Indians | Craig Breslow | David Eckstein | Felipe Lopez | Jack Wilson | Joe Borowski | Juan Uribe | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | Matt Holliday | Matt LaPorta | Michael Ynoa | Milwaukee Brewers | Oakland Athletics | Philadelphia Phillies | San Diego Padres | Tampa Bay Rays
Breslow, a 27 year-old Yale graduate, has bounced around and only compiled 36.2 innings in the bigs. His control needs some work, but he may be useful.