- Chris Davis Suspended 25 Games
- Reds, Brewers Complete Broxton Trade
- Ron Washington Resigns As Rangers Manager
- Angels Exercise 2015 Option On Jerry Dipoto
- Diamondbacks Fire Kevin Towers
- Rockies Extend Jorge De La Rosa
- Dodgers Promote Joc Pederson
- Astros Fire Bo Porter
- Brewers Acquire Jonathan Broxton
- Athletics Acquire Adam Dunn
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- The Most Improved Free Agents
- Poll: Who Will Sign Yasmani Tomas?
- Quick Hits: Wright, Pedroia, Duquette
- Rosenthal On Scherzer, Braves, Melvin
- Red Sox Notes: Shields, Rodriguez, Ortiz
- Braves Could Make Baseball Operations Changes
- NL Notes: Cubs, Arrieta, Pirates, Revere
- West Notes: Athletics, Nicasio, Rangers
- Week In Review: 9/13/14 – 9/19/14
- Quick Hits: Reaction Time, Schafer, Morse, Iglesias
- AL Notes: Hughes, Tomas, Lewis, Perkins, Leyva
- Minor Moves: Shane Watson
- Latest On Diamondacks’ GM Search
- 2014-15 Free Agent Leaderboards
- Red Sox Notes: Tomas, Castillo, Uehara, Alvarez
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Eric Hurley Rumors
Today's minor moves, courtesy of Baseball America's Matt Eddy..
- The Braves have signed left-hander Daniel Rodriguez out of the Mexican League, reports Dave O'Brien of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The 27-year-old owns a 2.54 ERA in 117 innings this season, and has led the league in strikeouts in each of the past three years.
- The Cardinals have released Mark Hamilton, reports MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch (on Twitter). The 28-year-old put up a .231/.340/.419 line with 15 homers in 359 Triple-A plate appearances this season.
- The Diamondbacks signed right-hander Brett Tomko. The 39-year-old was released by the Reds earlier this month after posting a 3.78 ERA with 6.5 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9 in 12 Triple-A starts.
- The Diamondbacks also signed third baseman Matt Mangini, who was recently released by the Rays. Mangini was with Tampa Bay's Triple-A affiliate but has been assigned to Double-A Mobile. The 26-year-old had a cup of coffee in the majors with the Mariners in 2010.
- Tigers outfielder Don Kelly cleared waivers and accepted his outright assignment to Triple-A Toledo. Kelly was outrighted after being DFA'd on August 3rd.
- The Twins released right-hander Eric Hurley, who elected free agency from the Angels last month. The 2004 first-round pick was once viewed as a high-ceiling prospect but has yet to appear in the majors since a five-game stint with the Rangers in 2008.
Here are the day's minor moves…
- Right-hander Eric Hurley has elected free agency according to the MLB.com's transactions page. The Angels called him up earlier this month but he did not appear in a game. The 26-year-old Hurley signed a minor league deal with the Halos this offseason and pitched to a 5.81 ERA in 18 starts for their Triple-A affiliate this summer.
- The Braves have released Adam Russell according to the International League transactions page. Atlanta signed the 29-year-old righty to a minor league pact this winter but he posted a 7.28 ERA in 38 1/3 innings for their Triple-A affiliate. Russell owns a 3.95 ERA in 86 2/3 big league innings with the White Sox, Padres, and Rays.
- The Athletics have released Luke Hughes according to the Pacific Coast League transactions page. Oakland designated the infielder for assignment back in April. Hughes, 27, had one single in 13 plate appearances for the A's this year while hitting .223/.316/.338 in 152 minor league plate appearances.
- The Cardinals have released Brian Broderick according to Derrick Goold of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch (on Sulia). The 25-year-old right-hander posted a 7.32 ERA in 78 2/3 innings for the team's Triple-A affiliate. Broderick appeared in eleven games for the Nationals last year as a Rule 5 Draft pick.
The Angels have signed outfielder Ryan Langerhans, right-hander Eric Hurley, and catcher Robinzon Diaz according to Bill Shaikin of The Los Angeles Times (on Twitter). All three players received minor league contracts.
Langerhans, 32 in February, hit just .173/.317/.346 in 64 plate appearances for Seattle in 2011. He did post a monstrous .311/.437/.573 batting line in 426 plate appearances split between the Mariners' and Diamondbacks' Triple-A affiliates, however. The left-handed hitter has always been adept at drawing walks (13.0% of his career plate appearances), and the advanced metrics generally like his glovework.
Hurley, 26, returned to the mound in 2011 after missing all of 2009 and 2010 due to major shoulder surgery. The former Rangers' top prospect pitched to a 5.55 ERA with 4.9 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 in 84 1/3 innings across 16 starts for Texas' Triple-A affiliate this past season. Hurley made five starts for the Rangers in 2008, allowing 15 runs in 24 2/3 innings.
Diaz, 28, also spent last season in Texas' minor league system. The backstop hit .318/.352/.444 in 211 plate appearances while throwing out just ten of 51 attempted basestealers (19.6%). Diaz hasn't appeared in the majors since 2009, and he's perhaps most famous for being the guy the Blue Jays traded to the Pirates for Jose Bautista back in 2008.
The latest players to be outrighted off 40-man rosters:
- The Indians outrighted Trevor Crowe off of their 40-man roster, according to the team. Crowe, who appeared in 15 games for the Indians in 2011, cannot elect free agency
- The Rangers outrighted pitchers Omar Beltre, Merkin Valdez and Eric Hurley and infielders Andres Blanco and Esteban German off of the 40-man roster, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Blanco, who would have been arbitration eligible, projected to earn $500K through arbitration. He posted a .605 OPS in 82 plate appearances as a utility player and was the only one of the outrighted players to pick up significant playing time in 2011.
- The Mariners outrighted infielder Luis Rodriguez, tweets Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times. I named Rodriguez and David Aardsma as the Mariners' primary non-tender candidates back in September, and now both are off the 40-man roster, which stands at 36. Rodriguez has elected free agency, reports MLB.com's Greg Johns.
- The Braves outrighted catcher J.C. Boscan, reliever Stephen Marek, outfielder Wilkin Ramirez, and outfielder Antoan Richardson to Triple-A Gwinnett, tweets MLB.com's Mark Bowman. Meanwhile, starter Todd Redmond's contract was selected. Marek had Tommy John surgery in May; he was obtained from the Angels with Casey Kotchman for Mark Teixeira at the '08 trade deadline. I thought at the time that the Braves' return topped the value of a couple of draft picks. That hasn't been true if you look at who the Angels took with their two Teixeira picks: top prospect Mike Trout and lefty Tyler Skaggs, a main component in the Dan Haren trade.
T.R. Sullivan recently filed his Rangers report at MLB.com.
- The Rangers will meet with Scott Boras soon to talk about Eric Gagne.
- Another topic for the Boras conversation: Corey Patterson.
- The Rangers like Milton Bradley, and have asked for his medical reports. Bradley’s agent said a few days ago that he would be ready for Opening Day.
- The Bucs’ asking prices for Jason Bay and Nate McLouth were deemed too high – Eric Hurley and Elvis Andrus were suggested.
- External first base options: Mike Lamb, Tony Clark, and Ben Broussard.
MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert has some trade rumors to digest this evening concerning the D’Backs.
- Arizona had discussions with the A’s about Dan Haren today. Many names were thrown about. Conor Jackson was not involved. The A’s asked about Max Scherzer and were told he’s not available. We learned earlier that Carlos Gonzalez‘s name came up.
- By the way, the D’Backs aren’t interested in Joe Blanton.
- Arizona is still around 3/30 on Hiroki Kuroda.
- The Rangers inquired about Carlos Gonzalez but wouldn’t consider parting with Eric Hurley for him.
- The Nats are indeed interested in Miguel Montero, as reported previously.