- Joel Hanrahan To Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Released By Tigers
- Twins, Brian Dozier Making Progress On Extension
- 2016-17 MLB Free Agents
- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- White Sox Great Minnie Minoso Passes Away
- Dodgers Sign Mike Adams
- Michael Saunders To Miss 5-6 Weeks After Knee Surgery
- Blue Jays, Athletics Talking With Dayan Viciedo
- Doug Melvin On Papelbon Trade Talks, K-Rod Signing
- Brewers To Re-Sign Francisco Rodriguez
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Rays, Jim Miller Agree To Minor League Deal
- Street, Angels To Exchange Offers Soon
- NL East Notes: Braves, Minor, Peraza, Marlins
- AL West Notes: Hernandez, Andrus, Crisp, Athletics
- MLBTR Live Chat
- Offseason In Review: Baltimore Orioles
- Octagon Adds Agents Jay Alou, Brian Mejia, Ulises Cabrera
- 2014-15 Free Agent Market: Overall Spending Declines, AAV Rises
- Minor Moves: Brandon Snyder
- Rangers To Return Edgar Olmos To Mariners
- Joel Hanrahan To Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Released By Tigers
- Poll: Wisest $60MM To $70MM Offseason Spend
- AL Notes: Victorino, McBryde, Twins
- 2014-15 Free Agent Spending By Team
- Minor Moves: Pedro Beato
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
R.J. Swindle Rumors
Today’s minor moves..
- The Cardinals have signed Clay Zavada to a minor league contract and released left-hander R.J. Swindle, according to the Pacific Coast League’s transactions page. Zavada, 27, was recently let go by the Reds.
- Cubs infielder Blake DeWitt cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Triple-A Iowa, tweets Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. The Cubs designated the 26-year-old for assignment ten days ago. Across parts of five big league seasons, DeWitt owns a .257/.324/.380 slash line.
- The Diamondbacks outrighted minor league outfielder David Winfree to remove him from the 40-man roster, tweets Steve Gilbert of MLB.com. Winfree, 26, has hit .285/.331/.476 in four Triple-A seasons.
The Cardinals have signed left-hander R.J. Swindle to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes has learned.
Swindle, 28, has nine Major League outings to his credit, last appearing in the bigs with the Brewers in 2009. The Vancouver native pitched in 39 games with the Rays' Triple-A affiliate in 2011 and has a career 2.37 ERA with an impressive 9.0 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in 493 2/3 minor league innings.
Swindle was a 14th-round draft pick of the Red Sox in 2004.
- The Yankees re-signed right-hander Kanekoa Texeira to a minor league deal. They released the reliever earlier in the month after re-acquiring him in May.
- The Red Sox signed left-hander Royce Ring to a minor league deal. The former first rounder logged 23 2/3 innings for the Mariners' Triple-A affiliate this year, posting a 6.08 ERA with 12.5 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9.
- The Padres signed right-hander John Van Benschoten from the Atlantic League. The former Pirate hasn't appeared in the Major Leagues since 2008.
- The Rays released R.J. Swindle, who last appeared in the Major Leagues in 2009. The left-hander had been pitching at Triple-A, where he had a 4.15 ERA with 9.3 K/9 and 4.4 BB/9 in 34 2/3 innings.
- The Dodgers released Merkin Valdez. The right-hander, who appeared in two games for Toronto last year, had a 3.58 ERA with 7.7 K/9 and 4.3 BB/9 in 50 1/3 innings at Triple-A.
- The Brewers released 28-year-old lefty Chase Wright. The former third round pick had a 5.83 ERA with 5.7 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9 in 71 innings in the upper minors this year.
A number of former big leaguers agreed to minor league deals today. Here are the details:
- The Marlins signed Ruben Gotay, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America (on Twitter). The 27-year-old hasn't appeared in the majors since 2008, but he led the Pacific Coast League in walks and posted an .845 OPS last year.
- The Rays announced that they signed five players, including righty Cory Wade and lefty R.J. Swindle, to minor league deals. Wade, 27, spent last year in the minors, but he pitched for the Dodgers in 2008-09. He has a 3.18 ERA with 6.3 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 in 99 big league innings. Swindle is another 27-year-old who spent the 2010 season in the minors. He posted a 2.45 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 1.6 BB/9 in 55 innings for the Rays' Triple-A affiliate. Like Wade, Swindle could prove useful for the 2011 Rays, who are building a bullpen on a budget.
- The Reds signed outfielder David Cook, according to Eddy (on Twitter). The 29-year-old has a .258/.369/.468 line in eight minor league seasons.
- The Red Sox signed right-hander Brandon Duckworth, according to Eddy (on Twitter). The 34-year-old spent the 2010 season pitching for the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate, where he posted a 3.32 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9. He has a 5.28 ERA in parts of eight big league seasons.
- The Yankees signed right-hander Buddy Carlyle to a minor league deal, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Carlyle, 32, spent the 2010 season in Japan after posting a 5.61 ERA with 6.9 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 in parts of six big league seasons.
- The D'Backs signed David Winfree, according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. The 25-year-old has a .273/.319/.448 line in his eight-year minor league career.
Let's take a look at some Rays news from around the web:
- A report from earlier today suggesting that Carl Crawford wants out of Tampa Bay after his $10MM team option was exercised doesn't add up, writes Cork Gaines of Rays Index and Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times. Gaines points out that the alleged "handshake agreement" not to pick up Crawford's option would have happened when he signed his current deal before the '05 season, under a completely different regime.
- Reliever R.J. Swindle is back with the club on a minor league deal, reports R.J. Anderson of DRays Bay. The 26-year-old soft-tossing sidearm-hurler will also receive an invite to Spring Training. Tampa Bay claimed Swindle after he was DFA'd by the Brewers on August 7th. Five days later, the Indians snagged him when the Rays were forced to put him on waivers for roster space.