- Rangers Nearing Deal To Acquire Josh Hamilton
- Angels Nearing Trade Involving Josh Hamilton
- Joe Nathan Out For Year With Torn UCL & Tendon
- Mariners To Sign Carlos Quentin
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Jeff Beliveau To Undergo Surgery For Torn Labrum
- D-Backs Sign Kevin Frandsen To Minor League Deal
- Cubs Promote Addison Russell
- Mike Redmond Could Be On Hot Seat
- White Sox To Promote Carlos Rodon
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- West Notes: Baker, Dodgers, Johnson, Iwakuma
- East Notes: Red Sox, Rogers Centre, Franco, Harang
- Blue Jays Designate Steve Tolleson
- Rangers Nearing Deal To Acquire Josh Hamilton
- Dodgers Designate Xavier Cedeno, Purchase Contract Of Sergio Santos
- Rangers Designate Logan Verrett
- Angels Nearing Trade Involving Josh Hamilton
- Minor Moves: Michael Kohn, John Cornely
- Marlins Designate Grant Dayton For Assignment
- Heyman’s Latest: Bryant, Upton, Rays, Leake, Soriano, Polanco
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Bob Dutton
- Phillies Notes: Papelbon, Billingsley, Rotation
- AL Central Notes: Gardenhire, Tigers ‘Pen, Indians
- AL East Notes: Rays, Red Sox, Tanaka
- NL Notes: Dodgers’ TV Deal, Guerrero, Brewers
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Wayne Krivsky Rumors
The Twins replaced general manager Bill Smith today, announcing that longtime GM Terry Ryan will run the team once again — at least for the interim. Here’s more on the Twins' front office, plus some hints about the composition of the 2012 roster:
- Ryan said he anticipates a payroll of roughly $100MM next year, according to MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger (Twitter links).
- Ryan confirmed that former Reds GM and Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky will join Minnesota’s front office, according to Bollinger.
- Hisashi Iwakuma, the Japanese right-hander who nearly signed with the Athletics last offseason, is on the Twins’ radar, according to Bollinger. Minnesota bid on the 30-year-old a year ago, but Oakland earned his rights through the posting system. MLBTR's Tim Dierkes placed Iwakuma 22nd on his list of top free agents, ahead of Kelly Johnson, Josh Willingham and many others. Tim’s predicted destination for Iwakuma: the Twins.
- Ryan said he won't make any changes to the team's coaching staff unless manager Ron Gardenhire wants to bring in different people, according to Phil Mackey of ESPN 1500 (on Twitter).
- For a detailed look at the challenges the Twins face this winter, here's my offseason outlook piece.
- There has been no early contact between the Twins and free agents Ryan Doumit and Clint Barmes, reports Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities (on Twitter). Ben Nicholson-Smith said a major expenditure at shortstop is unlikely in his Offseason Outlook, but he did mention that they need help at backup catcher.
- The Twins hope to finalize an agreement with Wayne Krivsky that would make him GM Bill Smith's special assistant, according to Joe Christensen of The Star Tribune. His focus would be on pro scouting. Krivsky worked with the organization as Terry Ryan's assistant GM before becoming GM of the Reds in 2005.
- Earlier today we learned that the Twins denied the Orioles permission to interview VP of player personnel Mike Radcliff for their still vacant GM job.
Let's gather up the latest Mets hot stove links…
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Jesse Spector of the New York Daily News, and Ken Davidoff of Newsday all trashed yesterday's signing of Alex Cora for $2MM. The basic premise is that every dollar counts when you're up against a payroll limit, and uninspired signings like Cora, John Grabow, and Ramon Hernandez for $2-3MM hurt.
- In that same blog post, Davidoff says the Mets "like Matt Holliday, but it's pretty apparent that they're not going after him the way they pursued Carlos Beltran five years ago."
- The Mets are poised to add Henry Blanco and Chris Coste as backup options, but Davidoff says their top free agent target is Bengie Molina. If he's offered arbitration today and turns it down later, Molina would cost the Mets' their #40 draft pick (unless they also sign a higher-ranked Type A who turned down arb, in which case their #40 pick would go to another team and the Giants would get #71). Davidoff notes that Gerald Laird and Chris Snyder were Mets trade targets in the past, and that other free agent catchers would not cost a draft pick. Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post says the Mets are interested in Type B free agent Rod Barajas.
- Roch Kubatko of MASN talked to Orioles president Andy MacPhail about Wayne Krivsky leaving his special assistant position with the O's for a better position with the Mets. Knowing that Krivsky wants to be a GM again, does this put more pressure on Omar Minaya?
Links for Wednesday…
- Greg Maddux says he hasn’t officially decided about retirement yet, but he’ll "try to figure it out in the next couple of days."
- David Newhan is now a free agent.
- Marc Hulet looks at interesting names for the Rule 5 draft over at Baseball Analysts.
- Roch Kubatko reports that the Orioles hired former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky as a special assistant to Andy MacPhail.
- Lefty Mike Maroth is feeling good following May shoulder surgery and intends to pitch in 2009.
- South Side Sox believes the White Sox are trimming payroll.
- Minor league free agent shortstop Luis Hernandez signed with the Royals.
- SoxProspects.com says the Red Sox inked Billy Traber, Marcus McBeth, and Gil Velazquez to minor league deals.
- The Dodgers re-signed Luis Maza to a minor league contract. Also at that link, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt hinted that the team may be unwilling to increase its two-year, $45MM offer to Manny Ramirez.
Links for Wednesday…
- You can hear me on Lenny Melnick’s radio show at about 7:15pm CST.
- The Marlins could be an interesting long shot for Raul Ibanez, but he’d have to leave significant money on the table.
- Indians manager Eric Wedge really wants the team to bring in a closer.
- George King likes Jason Giambi for the Rays; Cork Gaines imagines the negotiations.
- Jesse Spector talking to Brewers GM Doug Melvin, who wasn’t in a revealing mood.
- Tony Massarotti expects the Red Sox to make a huge offer to Mark Teixeira.
- Padres outfielder Brian Giles doesn’t expect to be traded this winter. If the team is in the tank next summer he might approve a deal, perhaps contingent on a contract extension.
- Jacob Jackson says Kevin Towers has handled the Jake Peavy negotiations poorly so far.
- Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky could end up in Baltimore’s front office.
- Bernie Williams is still not ready to retire.
- Derrick Goold believes the Cardinals have $17-21MM to spend.
- At least six clubs are in on Joe Beimel. The Tigers are one, while the Cardinals, Rockies, and Mets may be others.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Bernie Williams | Boston Red Sox | Brian Giles | Cleveland Indians | Doug Melvin | Jake Peavy | Jason Giambi | Joe Beimel | Mark Teixeira | Miami Marlins | Milwaukee Brewers | Raul Ibanez | San Diego Padres | St. Louis Cardinals | Tampa Bay Rays | Wayne Krivsky
Ken Rosenthal has a new column up; let’s take a look.
- Rosenthal gives a good refresher on July trade candidates; pretty much the names you’d expect.
- Reasons for Wayne Krivsky’s firing are discussed. By the way check out John Fay’s blog for some candid final comments from Krivsky. One interesting note is that he had no extension talks with Adam Dunn.
- The D’Backs could use Max Scherzer to strengthen their bullpen, or they could shop Chad Tracy for a reliever.
- Rosenthal wonders whether the Nationals might consider the under-30 segment of the next free agent class.
- Plenty of teams continue to express interest in the Rays’ Edwin Jackson. Something has to give in their rotation when Scott Kazmir returns, but demoting Andy Sonnanstine to the pen would solve the logjam.
Let’s discuss today’s random links.
- We’ll be doing a chat here at 2pm CST, don’t miss it!
- Jon Heyman suggests that the number of unqualified GMs is dwindling. He names seven whose jobs may be in jeopardy.
- Wayne Krivsky cleared the air on various issues, including the signings of Dusty Baker, Josh Fogg, and Corey Patterson.
- Jose Valverde denies the notion that he made outlandish salary demands of the D’Backs.
- Good news on Jorge Posada‘s shoulder; maybe the Yanks won’t have to acquire a catcher.
The Reds gave the axe to GM Wayne Krivsky today, replacing him with Walt Jocketty. It was a short stint – Krivsky was hired in February of 2006. The move itself isn’t a shock; it’s just surprising timing.
Notable moves during Krivsky’s tenure:
- 2-12-06: Scott Hatteberg signed to a one-year, $750K deal.
- 2-13-06: Adam Dunn signed to two-year, $18.5MM extension.
- 3-20-06: Acquired Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena.
- 3-21-06: Acquired David Ross for Bobby Basham.
- 4-7-06: Acquired Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens.
- 5-26-06: Traded Cody Ross to Marlins for a player to be named later.
- June ’06: Selected Drew Stubbs eighth overall in draft.
- 7-6-06: Acquired Eddie Guardado for Travis Chick.
- 7-13-06: Acquired Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Royce Clayton, Brendan Harris, and Daryl Thompson for Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez, and Ryan Wagner.
- 7-26-06: Signed Hatteberg to a one-year, $1.65MM extension.
- 7-31-06: Acquired Rheal Cormier for Justin Germano.
- 7-31-06: Acquired Kyle Lohse for Zach Ward.
- 8-7-06: Acquired Ryan Franklin for a player to be named later.
- 8-16-06: Acquired Scott Schoeneweis for a player to be named later.
- 8-28-06: Signed Javier Valentin to a one-year, $1.325MM extension.
- 9-25-06: Signed Juan Castro to a two-year, $2MM extension.
- 11-20-06: Signed Alex Gonzalez to a three-year, $14MM contract.
- 11-20-06: Signed Mike Stanton to a two-year, $5.5MM contract.
- 11-20-06: Traded Jason LaRue to the Royals for a player to be named later.
- 12-7-06: Acquired Josh Hamilton for cash.
- 12-7-06: Selected Jared Burton in Rule 5 draft.
- 12-12-06: Signed David Weathers to a two-year, $5MM contract.
- 1-2-07: Traded Brendan Harris to Rays for cash.
- 1-10-07: Acquired Jeff Keppinger for Russ Haltiwanger.
- 2-6-07: Signed Aaron Harang to a four-year, $36.5MM extension.
- 2-8-07: Signed Bronson Arroyo to a two-year, $25MM extension.
- 4-16-07: Signed Ryan Freel to a two-year, $7MM extension.
- 4-27-07: Traded Chris Denorfia to A’s for Marcus McBeth and another player.
- 5-9-07: Released Rheal Cormier (can’t hold Cormier against Krivsky).
- June ’07: Selected Devin Mesoraco 15th overall in draft.
- 10-31-07: Exercised ’08 options on Hatteberg, Dunn, and Valentin.
- 11-28-07: Signed Francisco Cordero to a four-year, $46MM contract.
- 12-21-07: Acquired Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera for Josh Hamilton.
- 1-23-08: Signed Jeremy Affeldt to a one-year, $3MM contract.
- 2-15-08: Signed Brandon Phillips to a four-year, $27MM extension.
- 2-21-08: Signed Josh Fogg to a one-year, $1MM contract.
- 3-3-08: Signed Corey Patterson to a one-year, $3MM contract.
- 4-8-08: Released Mike Stanton.
Looking back on Krivsky’s moves, he did a fine job. While many of his small free agent moves were poor, he made many shrewd trades and smart extensions.