We’ve entered trade deadline month, with Indians ace C.C. Sabathia front row and center. Let’s discuss.
- Ken Davidoff has a nice summary of the situation, agreeing with Buster Olney’s suggestion that the Brewers have the best mix of means and motivation to acquire Sabathia. Olney’s handicap yesterday ranked the Rays, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs behind the Brewers (in that order).
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin calls the speculation "just the same old rumors." Still, Melvin would consider moving prospects for a rental and notes that his stacked Double A club has been popular with other clubs.
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman does not sound like someone who plans to go all-in to get Sabathia. Gammons says they’ve "lurked."
- On the topic of the Cubs, ESPN’s Peter Gammons writes, "They doubt they have enough to get Sabathia, although Hendry constantly touches base with Indians GM Mark Shapiro." Regardless, Gammons expects the Indians to move quickly on Sabathia.
- Gammons says the Rangers are out but the Phillies "shouldn’t be overlooked." The Rays? They’ve lurked.