Mike Hindman of the Dallas Morning News recently conducted a Q&A with Rangers GM Jon Daniels. A few highlights:
- Daniels thought the Rangers had a great chance to sign Michael Inoa, as ownership made a budget exception to pursue him.
- Daniels doesn’t seem inclined to trade his top pitching prospects for a young big league starter. He still has certain targets though.
- A contract extension for Josh Hamilton will probably be explored during the first three months of 2009.
- Daniels knows what he wants to do with Milton Bradley, but wouldn’t reveal it.
- He expects to exercise Hank Blalock’s $6.2MM option for ’09.
- Daniels sees a "good possibility" of making a trade involving one of his four young catchers, but adds that it depends on the market. Daniels wouldn’t be opposed to trading both Gerald Laird and Jarrod Saltalamacchia in separate deals. He also admitted that the Red Sox inquired about catching.
- Daniels will attempt to improve the bullpen via free agency this winter.