Red Sox Still Eyeing Miguel Montero

9:10am: WEEI’s Alex Speier talked to a source who said little has changed in the Montero trade talks.  Speier says the D’Backs hope to receive a starter for Montero, meaning Daniel Bard might not cut it.  The D’Backs aren’t in any rush to trade Montero.

TUESDAY, 8:40am: Massarotti says the D’Backs and Red Sox "clearly feel there is a fit."  They’re still trying to determine which young Boston player is comparable to Montero.  Massarotti reiterates that the Red Sox maintain interest in Jason Varitek and Jarrod Saltalamacchia as well.

MONDAY, 2:44pm: Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic weighs in:

We’re hearing the Diamondbacks aren’t getting the impression that the Red Sox are zeroing in on Montero. The clubs are still talking — or maybe we should say they are again talking — and the Sox have tweaked their offer, but it apparently is not to the point where it satisfies the Diamondbacks.

8:59am: According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the Red Sox have been "intensifying talks with the Arizona Diamondbacks concerning 25-year-old catcher Miguel Montero."  Silverman says the D’Backs have not been requesting Clay Buchholz, and the teams may be able to find a match.  Last week Peter Gammons said the Red Sox would not give up Michael Bowden for Montero.  Alex Speier wrote on December 9th that the Red Sox rejected that offer.

Silverman adds that the Red Sox are expected to continue to sign new players this week. They’ve already added John Smoltz, Brad Penny, Mark Kotsay, Rocco Baldelli, and Takashi Saito on one-year deals.  Former Dodgers GM Fred Claire weighs in on Boston’s bargains at MLB.com.



blog comments powered by Disqus