Here's the latest news on next week's draft:
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Ben McDonald may meet Stephen Strasburg at the draft. It was 20 years ago, but McDonald was once the best pitching prospect anyone had ever seen and he had Scott Boras advising him, just like Strasburg.
- Check out the comparison chart at the bottom of Nightengale's article to see why McDonald was just as highly touted as Strasburg is today. Also, check out our Boras Blast From The Past feature on McDonald from April.
- According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun the Orioles have scouted college shortstop Grant Green extensively, but it "appears likely" they'll pass and choose between the many high school and college arms that figure to be available when the O's select fifth.
- To be as prepared as possible for the draft the D'Backs had their pro scouts look at amateur players and vice versa, according to MLB.com's Steve Gilbert. Mike Leake and Bobby Borchering are two names to watch for the D'Backs.
- MLB.com's Matthew Leach reports that the Cardinals could go for a younger player this year, as their upper-minors are well-stocked.
- As Colin Dunlap of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports, Pitt infield prospect Chris Sedon will be in the dentist's chair getting a cavity filled during the draft because it was the only available appointment.
- On ESPN radio Keith Law says "slot is dead" because ultimately the recommended bonuses from the commissioner's office are "just recommendations."
- Even though Strasburg has leverage with the Nationals, Law says it's in his best interest to sign this year and predicts an eleventh hour agreement between the two sides.
Full Story | Comments (2) | Categories: 2009 Amateur Draft | Arizona Diamondbacks | Baltimore Orioles | Grant Green | Scott Boras | St. Louis Cardinals | Stephen Strasburg
Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Francona, Indians, Mattingly, Dodgers Cafardo on Tanaka, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Phillies AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury Antonetti on Bourn, Bauer, Pitching Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams Poll: The Next 2012 First-Rounder To Be Called Up Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors