Here's the latest news on next week's draft:
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Ben McDonald may meet Stephen Strasburg at the draft. It was 20 years ago, but McDonald was once the best pitching prospect anyone had ever seen and he had Scott Boras advising him, just like Strasburg.
- Check out the comparison chart at the bottom of Nightengale's article to see why McDonald was just as highly touted as Strasburg is today. Also, check out our Boras Blast From The Past feature on McDonald from April.
- According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun the Orioles have scouted college shortstop Grant Green extensively, but it "appears likely" they'll pass and choose between the many high school and college arms that figure to be available when the O's select fifth.
- To be as prepared as possible for the draft the D'Backs had their pro scouts look at amateur players and vice versa, according to MLB.com's Steve Gilbert. Mike Leake and Bobby Borchering are two names to watch for the D'Backs.
- MLB.com's Matthew Leach reports that the Cardinals could go for a younger player this year, as their upper-minors are well-stocked.
- As Colin Dunlap of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports, Pitt infield prospect Chris Sedon will be in the dentist's chair getting a cavity filled during the draft because it was the only available appointment.
- On ESPN radio Keith Law says "slot is dead" because ultimately the recommended bonuses from the commissioner's office are "just recommendations."
- Even though Strasburg has leverage with the Nationals, Law says it's in his best interest to sign this year and predicts an eleventh hour agreement between the two sides.
Full Story | Comments (2) | Categories: 2009 Amateur Draft | Arizona Diamondbacks | Baltimore Orioles | Grant Green | Scott Boras | St. Louis Cardinals | Stephen Strasburg
Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors