Some more links for the afternoon…
- Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe says the Red Sox should have signed Mark Teixeira last offseason when they had the chance, since he's such a skilled hitter.
- Massarotti counts down the five most hopeless franchises in baseball. His top three all select within the first four picks next hour, so there could be hope on the way.
- Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says there's an excellent chance Erik Bedard will be a Type A free agent after this season. This works for the Mariners, as they'll be in a position to demand more for Bedard in a trade or, if they keep him, they can expect better compensation picks.
- Baseball America has the latest minor league transactions. Tim Raines Jr. was picked up by the Royals.
- MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports that Kris Benson cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple A to clear roster space for the recently-acquired Jason Grilli.