One week to go in the regular season, and it looks like we're in for an exciting one as the AL Central and NL Wild Card are coming down to the wire. Who said there'd be no good races? Here's your look back at the last week:
- Aroldis Chapman, the fireballing young lefty from Cuba, finally established residency this week -- in Andorra of all places. He's been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball, so let the bidding war begin. We know the Yankees, Orioles, and Angels all have interest, and we heard the Red Sox will be in on him too, but who else? The list of suitors should be plenty long. Unless, of course, there's no interest in a 21-year-old lefty who can throw over 100mph.
- Another international player making headlines this week was Wagner Mateo, who saw his $3.1MM contract voided by the Cardinals after it was revealed that his vision in his right eye was not as clear as they thought. Mateo's representatives say the eye is the same as it was at the time of the signing, but general manager John Mozeliak says he has no plans to renegotiate at this time.
- The Cubs have suspended problematic outfielder Milton Bradley for the rest of the season due to his interactions with the Chicago media. Bradley signed a three-year, $30MM contract this offseason, and while he's managed a solid OBP, the rest of his numbers have been largely disappointing. Even more disappointing have been the antics which have sadly become routine for the talented outfielder. The Cubs could look to move him this offseason, and the Padres may have some facet of interest. You'd have to imagine the Cubs would eat the majority of Bradley's salary in any trade.
- One of the most successful managers of the past generation has signed on for one more year, but only one more. Bobby Cox will take the helm for the Braves one more time in 2010, before hanging up the manager's hat. He'll remain with the Braves in a consulting role through 2015, however. Win or lose Bobby, congrats on one heck of a career.
- We've heard talk that the D'Backs might not pick up Brandon Webb's $8.5MM option for 2010, and that decision just got even more complicated, as Webb says he is not open to a restructured deal. Having seen the contracts signed by starters coming off injuries last season like John Smoltz, Webb is not interested in taking a paycut for Arizona. Is it really worth $6MM to risk losing out on a healthy Webb? I think the D'Backs have to go for it.
- Curious who's available this offseason? Tim's got the free agent market covered for DHs and starting pitchers. And if you're even more forward-looking than that, check out the 2011 free agent market.
- For other offseason storylines, here's a rundown of all the biggest potential stories to look out for.
Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners To Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins To Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco Reds Re-Sign Manny Parra Dodgers Sign Dan Haren Rays Sign Jose Molina Cardinals Sign Jhonny Peralta
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Yankees, Ellsbury, Red Sox, Peguero NPB Officials Planning To Accept $20MM Maximum Posting Fee NL Notes: Mets, Nats, Reds, Samardzija, Rockies, D-Backs Orioles Interested In Choo, Cruz, Jimenez AL West Notes: Rangers, Arencibia, Kazmir, Hughes, Mariners Dodgers Nearing Agreement With Brian Wilson Central Notes: Tigers, Castellanos, Beltran, Konerko, Twins Cubs Sign Wesley Wright Mariners Could Make Move To Acquire David Price AL Notes: Fister, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rays Red Sox Notes: Bradley, Drew, Napoli, Pierzynski Ellsbury Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Gardner, Choo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Minor Moves: Pridie, Brewers, Twins NL East Notes: Lincoln, Coghlan, Morrison
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors