One week to go in the regular season, and it looks like we're in for an exciting one as the AL Central and NL Wild Card are coming down to the wire. Who said there'd be no good races? Here's your look back at the last week:
- Aroldis Chapman, the fireballing young lefty from Cuba, finally established residency this week -- in Andorra of all places. He's been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball, so let the bidding war begin. We know the Yankees, Orioles, and Angels all have interest, and we heard the Red Sox will be in on him too, but who else? The list of suitors should be plenty long. Unless, of course, there's no interest in a 21-year-old lefty who can throw over 100mph.
- Another international player making headlines this week was Wagner Mateo, who saw his $3.1MM contract voided by the Cardinals after it was revealed that his vision in his right eye was not as clear as they thought. Mateo's representatives say the eye is the same as it was at the time of the signing, but general manager John Mozeliak says he has no plans to renegotiate at this time.
- The Cubs have suspended problematic outfielder Milton Bradley for the rest of the season due to his interactions with the Chicago media. Bradley signed a three-year, $30MM contract this offseason, and while he's managed a solid OBP, the rest of his numbers have been largely disappointing. Even more disappointing have been the antics which have sadly become routine for the talented outfielder. The Cubs could look to move him this offseason, and the Padres may have some facet of interest. You'd have to imagine the Cubs would eat the majority of Bradley's salary in any trade.
- One of the most successful managers of the past generation has signed on for one more year, but only one more. Bobby Cox will take the helm for the Braves one more time in 2010, before hanging up the manager's hat. He'll remain with the Braves in a consulting role through 2015, however. Win or lose Bobby, congrats on one heck of a career.
- We've heard talk that the D'Backs might not pick up Brandon Webb's $8.5MM option for 2010, and that decision just got even more complicated, as Webb says he is not open to a restructured deal. Having seen the contracts signed by starters coming off injuries last season like John Smoltz, Webb is not interested in taking a paycut for Arizona. Is it really worth $6MM to risk losing out on a healthy Webb? I think the D'Backs have to go for it.
- Curious who's available this offseason? Tim's got the free agent market covered for DHs and starting pitchers. And if you're even more forward-looking than that, check out the 2011 free agent market.
- For other offseason storylines, here's a rundown of all the biggest potential stories to look out for.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Latest On Ervin Santana Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors