Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos held a press conference with several reporters this afternoon to discuss the club's offseason strategy. Toronto's FAN 590 has the audio. Here are some of the highlights...
- There is no "defined number" for payroll next season and ownership is prepared to provide funds if the right "baseball opportunity" arises.
- Anthopoulos believes the Jays "can be up there with the Anaheims and the Chicagos, and even the Bostons" with a "sustained model of success" and financial backing from ownership.
- But he thinks building a team through free agency isn't the way to go. Building a core through good drafting and scouting is the strategy Toronto will try to employ.
- Anthopoulos is actively involved in trade talks and with free agents to improve the team, but won't do anything to jeopardize the future makeup of the club.
- He has been aware of the availability of every player that has been traded so far this offseason, and directly involved with talks for some.
- Anthopoulos said he has to be open minded about listening to trades for Roy Halladay this winter, but that Roy is "a guy we want to have here."
- That said, Halladay "wants to win" and the Blue Jays were a 75-win team last year. "We haven't met his criteria for winning... and his timeline for winning might not match ours." A contract extension seems unlikely.
- The Blue Jays are "not actively shopping" any of their current players at this moment.
White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
D-Backs To Acquire Trumbo In Three-Team Trade With Angels, White Sox Phillies Seeking Two Or Three Young Players For Domonic Brown Seven Teams Interested In Logan Morrison Twins, Mets, Reds Pursuing Arroyo New York Notes: Reynolds, Logan, Gardner, Mets Stephen Drew Rumors: Tuesday Youkilis Drawing Interest, Prefers West Coast Rockies, Reds Talked Sean Marshall At Least Seven Teams Interested In Eric Chavez Tigers, Rajai Davis Agree To Two-Year Deal Braves In Talks With Eric O'Flaherty D-Backs, ChiSox, Angels Optimistic About Three-Team Deal AL East Notes: Moreland, Joyce, Ibanez, Floyd, Yanks Latest On Juan Uribe Mariners Interested In Fernando Rodney
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors