More Saturday linkage..
- Ty Wigginton of the Orioles will likely see his number of at-bats decrease after the team's signing of Miguel Tejada and Garrett Atkins. Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com says that the 32-year-old could be a trade candidate in Spring Training.
- The sale of the Rangers to Chuck Greenberg's group is complete and an announcement is forthcoming, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan.
- Phil Wood of MASNSports.com understands the Nats' pursuit of Orlando Hudson, but not their reported interest in Orlando Cabrera. Hudson is reportedly seeking $9MM per season whereas Mike Axisa estimates that Cabrera can be had for $3MM.
- Veteran infielder Mark Loretta is expected to retire this week and take a job with an unspecified major league club, writes Jerry Crasnick of ESPN. The 38-year-old, who spent 2009 with the Dodgers, has a career .754 OPS.
- Brian McTaggart of MLB.com writes that signing Hunter Pence to one-year, $3.5MM deal makes sense for Houston. McTaggart senses that there is some kind of a groundswell of support by Astros fans to lock up the 26-year-old, but the club still has three years of contractual control to make such a deal happen.
- Signing Brad Penny saved money for the Cardinals, writes Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. While it may seem as though Penny's $7.5MM deal is similar to Joel Pineiro's two-year deal that will pay him an average of $8MM per season, the extra year on Pineiro's contract didn't fit into the Cards' budget.
- Due in part to the team's overload of left field options, top Reds prospect Todd Frazier could see some time at shortstop this season, writes John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Frazier played shortstop in his time at Rutgers University but was moved to the outfield as he was considered to be "too big for the spot." GM Walt Jocketty said that there will be open competition for the role of starting shortstop, though Fay says that it will likely go to the light-hitting Paul Janish.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Brad Penny | Cincinnati Reds | Houston Astros | Hunter Pence | Los Angeles Dodgers | Mark Loretta | Orlando Cabrera | Orlando Hudson | Paul Janish | St. Louis Cardinals | Texas Rangers | Todd Frazier | Ty Wigginton | Washington Nationals
Rangers To Sign Shin-Soo Choo Orioles' Deal With Grant Balfour Falls Through Diamondbacks To Extend Brad Ziegler Kevin Youkilis To Sign With Rakuten Golden Eagles Twins To Sign Kurt Suzuki White Sox To Sign Scott Downs Royals Acquire Danny Valencia Twins, Braves Swap Doumit For Gilmartin Marlins Sign Casey McGehee Rockies Acquire Franklin Morales For Jonathan Herrera Rockies Acquire Drew Stubbs Angels To Sign Raul Ibanez Padres To Sign Joaquin Benoit Mariners To Sign Franklin Gutierrez Yankees To Sign Matt Thornton Yankees To Sign Brian Roberts Dodgers To Sign J.P. Howell Astros Sign Matt Albers White Sox, D-Backs Swap Reed For Davidson Braves Sign Gavin Floyd Indians To Sign John Axford Cardinals To Sign Mark Ellis Twins To Sign Mike Pelfrey Dodgers To Re-Sign Juan Uribe
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
West Notes: Choo, Astros, Kotsay East Notes: Price, O's, Balfour, Braves, Marlins Central Notes: Castro, Indians, Twins, Hart Brett Pill Reaches Agreement With KIA Tigers More React To Choo Deal Twins' Colabello Rejects Offer To Play In South Korea Minor Moves: Lin, Sanchez, Sosa, Ni, Burriss Reactions To Shin-Soo Choo Signing Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Price, Davidson, Angels Rangers To Sign Shin-Soo Choo Yankees Could Stay In-House For Last Rotation Spots Quick Hits: Castro, Cubs, Balfour, Phillies, Yankees Rakuten Golden Eagles To Sign Kevin Youkilis AL Notes: Youkilis, Angels, Gimenez Latest On Orioles' Closer Situation
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors