Red Sox Still In On Ruiz

Earlier this week, the Blue Jays appeared to be taking the lead in the race to sign Cuban first base prospect Jose Julio Ruiz. But don't count out the Red Sox yet, says ESPN's Jorge Arangure, Jr. in a recent blog post.

Arangure cites a "source knowledgeable about the situation" as saying that the Red Sox are still actively pursuing Ruiz as a low-cost preemptive replacement for David Ortiz, and that the interest is mutual. Ruiz is eyeing Boston, the source says, because he believes he would soon have the opportunity to take Ortiz's spot, even if it means playing in the minors in the short term. This seemingly conflicts with Ruiz's agent Jorge Luis Toca's quote earlier this month that "the idea is to find a team where he'll have the best opportunity to rise the quickest," but on the other hand, Ortiz's slow start in 2009 didn't make him look like a huge roadblock. The team holds a $12.5MM club option for Ortiz in 2011, which if declined could make for an easy transition.

The Red Sox are said to be looking at the 25-year-old defector much in the same way that they looked at Ortiz when he was released by the Twins at age 28: a big (Ortiz is 6'4"; Ruiz is 6'3") lefty masher whose stats "augur an eventual breakout season." To wit, Arangure quotes the Latin American scouting director of a National League team as saying, "Ruiz is a David Ortiz-looking dude." Ruiz was also favorably compared to Carlos Delgado when he first defected in June of 2009. 

Of course, none of this is to rule out the possibility that the Red Sox trade for Adrian Gonzalez. Arangure quotes "sources close to" the Padres first baseman as saying that while the Red Sox are not actively pursuing him at the moment, Gonzalez considers a trade to Boston "inevitable."

Other links from the threshold between major league baseball and world baseball…

  • The Braves signed 21-year-old Nicaraguan shortstop Ivan Marin to a minor league contract on February 10, reports Oscar Gonzalez at La Prensa.
  • Cuban pitcher Juan Yasser Serrano held a private tryout for the Rays last Wednesday, according to the Cuban baseball blog Las Avispas.
  • Former major leaguer Randall Simon has signed with the Rockford Riverhawks of the independent Northern League, reports baseballdeworld.com. Simon hasn't logged a big league PA since 2004, but he has remained active in Europe, most recently in the Italian Baseball League and for the upstart Dutch national team in last year's World Baseball Classic.


10 Responses to Red Sox Still In On Ruiz Leave a Reply

  1. Braves are making a bevy of shortstop signings in the international market; this is at least their third with the obvious “crown jewel” of the bunch being Salcedo. Its good to see Wren addressing a deficiency in our system, that being middle infield prospects. Brandon Hicks, Travis and Mycal Jones, Salcedo, and the other Latin American signings give us some quality in the system, even if only Hicks and Salcedo have impact potential.

  2. Guest 5 years ago

    Have the Sox given up on Lars already? I guess depth never hurts.

    • bomberj11 5 years ago

      Yeah, but the Red Sox also have Anthony Rizzo. This move wouldn’t make much sense.

  3. Lokks like a good move

  4. DarthVader87 5 years ago

    This would be a really smart move by the Red Sox if they sign him. They could either use him as a piece to help trade for A-Gon or another power 1B. Or they could simply hold onto him.

  5. DarthVader87 5 years ago

    This would be a really smart move by the Red Sox if they sign him. They could either use him as a piece to help trade for A-Gon or another power 1B. Or they could simply hold onto him.

  6. ReverendBlack 5 years ago

    Do eet.

  7. BraveNewWorld 5 years ago

    The Braves are quietly looking for prospects outside of Georgia. About time.

  8. PLite14 5 years ago

    lol, looks like I’ll have to go watch Randall play in Rockford!

  9. hawkny1 5 years ago

    Forget all this talk if Beltre performs well at 3rd base. If he does, he gets a 3yr/$30M after 2010. Youk stays at 1st and life moves on in Boston. 2010 is JD Drew’s 6th year. He will be 35 in November. Gone in 2011, along with Scutaro. Mike Lowell will also be long gone, as will Papi, unless he has a monster year…in 2010…along with Veritek and Wakefield. Time to make room for younger guys to move up.

Leave a Reply