Let's take a look back at the past week on what's looking like a slow Sunday...
- The week's top story is the extension signed by Rays' swiss army knife Ben Zobrist. The versatile 28-year-old inked a three-year extension that guarantees him roughly $17.5MM with two club options that could bring the deal to nearly $30MM total. The question here is if Zobrist's MVP-esque 2009 season is capable of being repeated; was it a fluke or is he merely a late bloomer? Clearly, we know what the Rays' take on that issue is.
- It's not the $3.1MM that Wagner Mateo thought he had secured last summer, but he managed to finally get a contract signed. The Dominican outfielder signed with Arizona for $512K. Concerns over his vision have reduced the 17-year-old's stock over the past several months.
- The Royals swallowed $3.25MM this week when they released Juan Cruz. Clearly, they haven't gotten the big-time strikeouts and dominant eighth inning presence they were looking for when they signed the veteran to a two-year deal.
- We're a ways from the trade deadline, but it's fun to speculate. This week we heard the possibility of Atlanta joining the Adrian Gonzalez sweepstakes. Then again, with the Padres playing as well as they are, who says there will be a sweepstakes at all?
- More trade talks surfaced in light of the Cubs' recent decision to move Carlos Zambrano (and his $18MM salary) to the bullpen; could Tom Gorzelanny be moved to acquire a setup man?
- A.J. Pierzynski discussed his future with the White Sox this week, which is in question due to his impending free agency and the presence of top prospect Tyler Flowers. We also heard that the White Sox are trying to determine Pierzynski's potential trade value, but don't like what they hear. It's worth noting that he'll receive 10-and-5 rights in June.
- Ike Davis made his MLB debut this week, thanks to the Mets designating Mike Jacobs for assignment. Ike's provided an offensive upgrade in his small sample size so far, while Jacobs has cleared waivers and accepted his assignment to AAA.
- Still looking for work, Braden Looper threw for the Cubs this week. Unfortunately for Looper though, the Cubs aren't likely to sign him.
- With their outfield hurting, the Red Sox acquired Jonathan Van Every from the Pirates this week for a PTBNL. Van Every spent the last two seasons with the Boston organization.
- Some notable minor league transactions this week: Corey Patterson and the Orioles agreed to terms, Ramon Vazquez signed on with the Mariners, and the Marlins signed Jorge Sosa. For additional transaction news, check out our transactions section.
- Updates in the 2011 Contract Issues series this week included: Cleveland, Seattle, Florida, the Mets, Nationals, and Orioles.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors