Let's take a look back at the past week on what's looking like a slow Sunday...
- The week's top story is the extension signed by Rays' swiss army knife Ben Zobrist. The versatile 28-year-old inked a three-year extension that guarantees him roughly $17.5MM with two club options that could bring the deal to nearly $30MM total. The question here is if Zobrist's MVP-esque 2009 season is capable of being repeated; was it a fluke or is he merely a late bloomer? Clearly, we know what the Rays' take on that issue is.
- It's not the $3.1MM that Wagner Mateo thought he had secured last summer, but he managed to finally get a contract signed. The Dominican outfielder signed with Arizona for $512K. Concerns over his vision have reduced the 17-year-old's stock over the past several months.
- The Royals swallowed $3.25MM this week when they released Juan Cruz. Clearly, they haven't gotten the big-time strikeouts and dominant eighth inning presence they were looking for when they signed the veteran to a two-year deal.
- We're a ways from the trade deadline, but it's fun to speculate. This week we heard the possibility of Atlanta joining the Adrian Gonzalez sweepstakes. Then again, with the Padres playing as well as they are, who says there will be a sweepstakes at all?
- More trade talks surfaced in light of the Cubs' recent decision to move Carlos Zambrano (and his $18MM salary) to the bullpen; could Tom Gorzelanny be moved to acquire a setup man?
- A.J. Pierzynski discussed his future with the White Sox this week, which is in question due to his impending free agency and the presence of top prospect Tyler Flowers. We also heard that the White Sox are trying to determine Pierzynski's potential trade value, but don't like what they hear. It's worth noting that he'll receive 10-and-5 rights in June.
- Ike Davis made his MLB debut this week, thanks to the Mets designating Mike Jacobs for assignment. Ike's provided an offensive upgrade in his small sample size so far, while Jacobs has cleared waivers and accepted his assignment to AAA.
- Still looking for work, Braden Looper threw for the Cubs this week. Unfortunately for Looper though, the Cubs aren't likely to sign him.
- With their outfield hurting, the Red Sox acquired Jonathan Van Every from the Pirates this week for a PTBNL. Van Every spent the last two seasons with the Boston organization.
- Some notable minor league transactions this week: Corey Patterson and the Orioles agreed to terms, Ramon Vazquez signed on with the Mariners, and the Marlins signed Jorge Sosa. For additional transaction news, check out our transactions section.
- Updates in the 2011 Contract Issues series this week included: Cleveland, Seattle, Florida, the Mets, Nationals, and Orioles.
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Winter Meetings Review: Day 2 Overnight Notes: Masterson, Twins, Rockies, Myers AL East Links: Choo, Drew, Lester, Yankees Astros Interested In Joba Chamberlain Phillies Notes: Brown, Papelbon, Lee, Hamels Trumbo Trade Allows Angels To Pursue Pitching Quick Hits: Cubs, Blue Jays, Butler, Cruz, Ackley Tigers Still Successfully Adapting Long After Peralta Suspension David Price Rumors: Tuesday Latest On Matt Kemp Central Notes: Anderson, Cardinals, Ellis, Pirates East Notes: Tanaka, Red Sox, Mets, Braves, Chavez Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight East Notes: Mets, Burnett, Phillies, Benoit Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors