20 players signed free agent deals worth at least $10MM last offseason. How'd those work out?
- Matt Holliday, Cardinals: seven years, $120MM. Holliday lived up to expectations in year one.
- John Lackey, Red Sox: five years, $82.5MM. The Red Sox would probably undo this contract given the chance. Lackey shook off the health problems of 2008-09 by tossing 215 innings, but his performance dropped off in most aspects.
- Jason Bay, Mets: four years, $66MM. Bay's numbers fell off a cliff, and then a concussion ended his season on July 25th. The Mets would undo this contract if they could.
- Chone Figgins, Mariners: four years, $36MM. Figgins' walk rate and batting average fell as the Ms moved him from leading off and playing third base to batting second and playing second base. There was also a July dugout altercation with manager Don Wakamatsu. The Mariners would undo this deal.
- Aroldis Chapman, Reds: six years, $30.25MM. No regrets here, as Chapman dominated in 13.3 relief innings for the Reds and electrified fans with the fastest pitch ever recorded. Other teams are wishing they'd outbid the Reds.
- Randy Wolf, Brewers: three years, $29.75MM. Like Lackey, Wolf provided innings but at reduced effectiveness. I'm guessing the Brewers are disappointed.
- Placido Polanco, Phillies: three years, $18MM. I imagine the Phillies are satisifed with this deal, as Polanco hit .298/.339/.386 while playing solid defense at third base.
- Joel Pineiro, Angels: two years, $16MM. He missed two months with an oblique strain, but the Halos are probably still happy given his 3.84 ERA in 152.3 innings.
- Mike Cameron, Red Sox: two years, $15.5MM. He played in only 48 games due to an abdominal strain that resulted in August surgery. The team probably regrets the contract.
- Marlon Byrd, Cubs: three years, $15MM. Byrd hit .293/.346/.429 in his Cubs debut and played capable defense; the Cubs are likely fine with his contract.
- Brandon Lyon, Astros: three years, $15MM. He tossed 78 innings of 3.12 ball, picking up 20 saves when Matt Lindstrom got hurt. The contract was panned at the time, but the Astros got what they hoped for.
- Jason Marquis, Nationals: two years, $15MM. I thought Marquis would be mediocre, not hurt. A surprising elbow injury limited him to 13 starts and has the Nats regretting the deal.
- Jose Valverde, Tigers: two years, $14MM. He had some elbow woes in September but generally met the team's expectations.
- Marco Scutaro, Red Sox: two years, $12.5MM. He stayed healthy and did a decent job on offense and defense, so the Sox are probably OK with the contract.
- Mark DeRosa, Giants: two years, $12MM. Wrist surgery limited him to 26 games, so the Giants would prefer a mulligan.
- Mike Gonzalez, Orioles: two years, $12MM. The lefty finished strong, but shoulder pain limited Gonzalez to 24.6 innings. The Orioles would like to have this one back.
- Andy Pettitte, Yankees: one year, $11.75MM. A groin injury limited Pettitte to 129 innings, but a 3.28 ERA made it worthwhile.
- Fernando Rodney, Angels: two years, $11MM. It was an unimpressive campaign, though not an unpredictable one given his '09 stats. The Angels would probably undo this deal.
- Adrian Beltre, Red Sox: one year, $10MM. Beltre had an MVP-type season and was a huge bargain for Boston.
- Ben Sheets, Athletics: one year, $10MM. Elbow problems limited Sheets to 119.3 innings of 4.53 ball. The deal was regrettable.
- There you have it: over half a billion bucks and 57 contract years given to the 20 most expensive free agents last winter. By my estimate, teams regret half of these deals.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors