Another Sunday closer to Spring Training and Opening Day 2011. Let's recap the last week:
- In an astonishing move, Toronto was able to unload Vernon Wells and his entire contract in a trade with the Angels. Toronto will receive Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera in return for the 32-year-old Wells, who many had deemed one of the most untradeable players in the game. Here's some reactions and details on the trade.
- The Yankees may have missed Cliff Lee, but they managed to land a top free agent when they signed Rafael Soriano for three years and $35MM. Soriano's deal has two opt-out clauses, giving him tremendous leverage. New York also signed Andruw Jones for one year and $2MM.
- The reigning NL MVP agreed to a three-year extension with the Reds. Joey Votto will earn $38MM for his arbitration years, in a move that's drawn some criticism as it doesn't seem to save the Reds much money.
- The Reds also extended Johnny Cueto on a four-year, $27MM deal and are talking about a long-term deal for Edinson Volquez.
- Billy Butler signed an extension of his own with the Royals -- for four years and $30MM.
- It's not often you see an injured player leave millions on the table, but Gil Meche walked away from $12MM when he retired a year before his contract ended. A classy move in my opinion. Best of luck in life after baseball, Gil.
- The Twins finally came to terms with Carl Pavano after weeks of being close. The veteran right-hander will earn $16.5MM over the next two seasons in Minneapolis.
- Busy week out in our nation's capital -- the Nats acquired Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs, signed Jerry Hairston Jr. for $2MM on a one-year deal, and inked Todd Coffey as well.
- The Athletics made some big moves to fortify their bullpen, hammering out a two-year deal worth $8.1MM for Grant Balfour and a two-year, $10MM deal with Brian Fuentes.
- Another significant bullpen signing saw Jon Rauch sign with the Blue Jays for one year and $3.5MM, with a $3.75MM club option ($250K buyout).
- The Rays signed both Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon to one-year deals, with Damon earning $5.25MM and Manny signing for a $2MM base.
- The Mets signed Chris Young to a one-year deal that guarantees the righty just $1.1MM, a nice bargain. Some more low-cost signings included Chad Qualls in San Diego ($2.55MM guaranteed), Marcus Thames with the Dodgers ($1MM), Nick Punto in St. Louis ($700K), and Aaron Heilman in Arizona ($2MM).
- Several two-year deals were ironed out to avoid arbitration: Jason Hammel with the Rockies, Stephen Drew in Arizona, Rajai Davis with the Jays, Sean Marshall with the Cubs, and Matt Lindstrom with the Rockies as well.
- Some more notable arbitration figures included Jonathan Papelbon signing for $12MM, Prince Fielder for $15.5MM, and Heath Bell for $7.5MM. For more arbitration news, be sure to keep up to date with our arb tracker.
- Some of the many minor league signings this week included Jeff Suppan with the Giants, Jody Gerut and Nate Robertson with the Mariners, and Joe Crede with the Rockies. Be sure to check out our Transactions section for all of the week's minor moves.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors