Michael Young wants out of Texas and, despite the $48MM remaining on his contract, some of the Rangers' rivals are interested. The Phillies inquired on Young and though the Angels, Dodgers and Yankees appear to have little interest in the 34-year-old, other clubs could become involved. Here's the latest on Young, with the most recent updates up top:
- Renck hears that the Rangers want more than they did six weeks ago, but the Rockies are not inclined to change their offer (Twitter link).
- The Rockies thought they had a deal in place with the Rangers for Young about six weeks ago, writes Renck. The Rockies would have given up a pair of solid prospects and were to take on about $20MM of Young's contract. But then the Rangers missed out on free agent DH targets and at this time want more from the Rockies.
- Rangers GM Jon Daniels told Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News that "nobody looks good right now" for a Young trade. Daniels suggested that "if a deal is going to happen, it's probably going to happen" before Rangers position players report to Spring Training in nine days, though he does not consider February 19th a deadline. He also told Grant the Rangers are not pursuing free agents to replace Young.
- The Dodgers and Rangers had serious discussions about Young, but the sides didn't get close to a deal, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. One source told the FOX writers the Dodgers wanted the Rangers to assume "as much as" $36MM of the $48MM owed to Young.
- The Rangers and Rockies both know the deal they want and seem to be waiting for the other club to blink, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter).
- The Rangers don't expect to be able to move Young, according to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Twitter link). Teams have inquired, but there's no apparent fit.
- Troy Renck of the Denver Post has been told multiple times that the Rockies are out unless the Rangers approach them again (Twitter link).
- Angels GM Tony Reagins told Bill Shaikin of the LA Times that he's "not engaged" with another AL West team in trade talks (Twitter link). It doesn't sound like Young should pack his bags for Anaheim.
- We heard Tuesday that the Rockies were out on Young, but they may still be interested in him. The Rockies haven't heard they're out of the bidding, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). The Rangers asked the Rockies for a "very good player" in exchange for Young and the sides are apart on money.