As we continue to follow the spring's positional battles and injury reports, let's recap the major hot stove headlines from the past seven days....
- The Phillies negotiated deals to keep both Charlie Manuel and Ruben Amaro Jr. around for a few more years. Manuel signed a two-year extension and Amaro Jr. finalized a four-year contract with the club. In other front office news, Dodgers VP and assistant GM Kim Ng left the team for a job with Major League Baseball, while Chuck Greenberg will no longer be a part of the Rangers' organization.
- Two playoff contenders agreed to multiyear extensions with players this week - Matt Thornton signed a two-year guarantee with the White Sox, and Ryan Hanigan and the Reds agreed to a three-year deal.
- Jason Castro's season-ending injury has the Astros searching for catching help. Signing Robinson Cancel was a start, but Houston still seems willing to stretch its payroll to add another backstop. Jesus Flores and Drew Butera were two potential options the Astros looked into.
- The Astros' NL Central rivals in Milwaukee will also have to replace an injured player (Zack Greinke), though the Brewers appear to have enough internal depth to wait out Greinke's return. Speaking of the former Cy Young winner, we heard this week that it would've taken the Rangers five young players to acquire Greinke from the Royals.
- Teams have called the Royals about Alex Gordon and the Red Sox about Mike Cameron.
- Adds and drops this week included the Royals claiming Robert Fish, the Blue Jays claiming Cesar Cabral, the Phillies releasing Robb Quinlan, the Nationals releasing Cla Meredith, and the Rockies parting ways with Chad Moeller.
- The Blue Jays, Brewers, Athletics, and Yankees signed international players to six- or, in the Yankees' case, seven-figure contracts.
- It appears safe to invest in Felix Hernandez and David Wright jerseys. Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik said, unsurprisingly, that King Felix is unavailable, while Wright said he can't imagine ever asking the Mets to trade him.
- Trade rumors continued to swirl around Michael Young, with the Diamondbacks among the teams linked to the Rangers infielder this week.
- Oliver Perez's time in New York could be nearing an end. The Mets are evaluating the lefty's spring outings before deciding whether or not to waive him.
- The Twins seem open to trade offers for Kevin Slowey, and the Blue Jays may be interested.
- Finally, a fond farewell to Brendan Donnelly and Gregg Zaun; both players announced their plans to retire. Bengie Molina wasn't quite as decisive, but said he's also retired, "for now."
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Abreu, Thornton, Hicks West Notes: Scutaro, Singleton, Martinez MLBTR Originals Quick Hits: Hardy, Gonzalez, Hanrahan, Davis, Harang Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Fasano, Matsui, Orioles Twins Claim Sam Fuld, Designate Darin Mastroianni Yankees Designate Matt Daley For Assignment Tigers Release Alex Gonzalez Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors